The Academic Specialist is responsible for degree audits, and academic progress counseling for an assigned distribution of the undergraduate population. In addition to maintaining accurate academic records and upholding academic policy consistent with university standards, this position regularly interacts with this population to proactively assist students and resolve any issues related to degree completion and academic clearance for commencement.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and education.
- Three to five years business experience, preferably in higher education.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Evaluates and determines whether degree requirements have been met. Analyzes degree requirements, minimum GPA, ministry hours and departmental requirements. Accumulates and records final information regarding graduation for undergraduate students. Posts degrees after all requirements are met. Coordinates diploma ordering and final processing of academic file.
- Maintains accurate academic files of enrolled students. In addition, records pertinent details from conversations with students that may affect degree completion.
- Evaluates and determines Azusa Pacific University’s undergraduate requirements met by international transfer credits. Works with the Articulation Administrator and International Student Services to determine accreditation and transfer standards for foreign countries and schools.
- Works with the Assistant Registrar, Academic Progress to formulate advertising programs to keep client base informed of all academic policies and procedures. Communicates with the assigned student client base to proactively keep them informed of any policy or procedural change that might influence their degree.
- Meets as needed, with faculty and staff to clarify academic and registrar policies applicable to their area of oversight.
- Assists students that have not met their degree requirements to help them to finalize their degrees. Formulates academic plans and evaluates remaining degree requirements. Maintains contact with the students after graduation to assist them with finishing degree requirements.
- Serves on various councils, committees and teams to assist with formulating policies and procedures for undergraduate students.
- Assists students during add/drop, registration and pre-registration.
- Works to promote new technology to evaluate transfer units and check degrees.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Assistant Registrar, Academic Progress or Registrar.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Ability to micro-manage complex database information.
- Good organization and problem solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, exuding a mature demeanor while multi-tasking in a deadline oriented environment with accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team, as well as an independent contributor.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretionary skills in determining when to act independently and when to consult management prior to taking action.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Requires repetitive motions and sitting at computer keyboard.
- Hearing and speaking on the telephone.
- Able to conduct business at other offices on campus.
- Able to lift, bend, grasp, reach, lift up to 20 lbs. occasionally.
- Reading, writing notes, and computer monitor.
- Pleasant office, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
Azusa Pacific University - 18 months ago