The Account Director is responsible for the overall leadership of a specified client relationships/businesses including the development of strategic plans, overseeing the execution of plans and program elements, and financial management.
The Account Director is expected to lead the business independently, from the highest level of strategic planning to the execution and implementation of those marketing plans.
The Account Director strives to add value to the client’s business, thereby making himself/herself an invaluable member/partner of the client’s business team.
The Account Director is the team leader, responsible for motivating his/her team, addressing areas of need, and ensuring the highest possible quality of work generated by the team.
The Account Director is responsible for profitably building the business on which he/she works, by identifying new project and business opportunities.
Position Responsibilities :
The responsibilities for the Account Director fall into the following categories:
o Ensure service levels and tactics are keeping with strategic goals
- Collaboration and Consultation
- Know your client . Work collaboratively with them and their agencies to ensure the best strategies and integrated plans possible.
- Lead your client . Constantly educate your client in the areas of promotional, digital and shopper marketing. Provide a point of view and recommendation on a plan/course of action. Be a go-to source for advice and council.
- Extend your client relationships . Understand the D.L. Ryan Companies’ core competencies to cross sell and expand Ryan’s sphere of influence within the client organization.
- Account Leadership
- Develop annual account plans for all assigned accounts
- Formulate account specific service tactics, utilizing team orientation in support of the account plan
- Direct the team’s account service effort
o Monitor and direct expansion of management relationships
o Develop the account relationships for long-term association
o Write or direct the writing of creative options and/or execution plans
- Service accounts personally and directly, updating and including the Group Director when appropriate
- Acquire client assignments. Define, clarify and focus direction.
- Lead the development of any long-term account or related industry strategy
- Add value, expertise and knowledge
- Look to develop client relationships at the senior level
- Proactively grow client business
- Project Direction
- Develop, investigate and initiate project opportunities
- Guide team to ensure flawless execution
- Communicate the client request to the appropriate agency departments and individuals. Develop a close and effective working relationship with the creative and production teams.
- Define and communicate timing and budget
- Ensure high levels of accuracy across all aspects of the business
- Shape concepts into programs
o Coordinate creative efforts
Successful Account Directors set the standards in these areas:
- Participate in all assigned account presentations
- Follow-up and where needed, act directly to ensure client satisfaction
- Provide continuous contact communication with the client, across appropriate levels, as well as with internal management
- Evaluate product quality on an ongoing basis
- Financial Management
- Responsible for the financial contributions of multiple clients businesses (if applicable) including revenue, resource allocation/expenses, invoicing, collecting bad debt, margin improvement, contract negotiations/development
- Deliver on preset gross profit objectives
- Coordinate project estimates internally and gain client approval on pricing
- Manage internal project costs against budgets
The Account Director is a Manager that works to develop subordinates, tailoring growth plans and objectives according to their individual strengths and weaknesses to build the agency’s future leaders. Inspire, challenge and lead by example.
- Strategic Thinking – Provide a thorough knowledge of strategic dynamics across multiple business categories and situations so as to represent solid thought leadership to clients. The Account Director provides insights and strategic direction for individual teams, giving parameters from which to approach assignments and develop strategic plans and a point of view/recommendations, using analytic skills and all available data tools. The Account Director fosters the organization’s point-of-difference as leaders in strategic thinking and out-of-the-box problem solving in relation to the industry and client’s expectations.
- Concept Champion – Lead the concept development component within the group and champion ideas, approaches and opportunities both internally and with clients. The Account Director needs to challenge the team to think differently about their respective businesses and to provide the ability to work with the team to identify, cultivate and fully develop sound concepts that meet/exceed the business and client’s objectives.
- Team Leaders – Bring resources together to collectively work against a client’s business objective. They must be strong team builders who foster camaraderie in a positive, nurturing environment. The Account Director coaches, mentors and teaches as they demonstrate the ability to grow businesses, careers and the organization’s bottom line.
(and such other duties and responsibilities that may be assigned from time to time)
A minimum of six years of relevant work experience
The ability to drive and/or assist in the steps necessary to get various programs launched. Possess strong strategic planning, project management, communication and executional skills.
Must possess excellent presentation skills
Demonstrate understanding of the essentials of marketing
The ability to drive and/or assist in the steps necessary to get various strategies implemented
The ability to interface and communicate with the client
The ability to meet or exceed client expectations in the area of account management, industry/category/brand knowledge with a good understanding of industry channels and market conditions
Should have high standards, a strong work ethic and be able to function autonomously, while retaining team membership and spirit.
Thorough and accurate communication ability
Ability to manage multiple priorities with strong organizational skills
Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
Ryan Partnership is the largest independent marketing services company in the U.S. More specifically, we're a relationship marketing group. Which means we connect with people in meaningful ways that help clients build brand value and drive transactions. And we do it from seven offices with over 650 employees across the U.S. If you’re a problem-solving creative type with game-changing ideas, we should talk. Check us out at www.ryanpartnership.com .
Ryan Partnership is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any individual, employee, or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, handicap, or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law.