This position is responsible for inspiring and driving growth and business results in a district area. Primarily, DSMs are responsible for leading and managing a team in order to achieve district sales targets, and dealer satisfaction goals. They are expected to set and implement strategy for the district. They are also responsible for improving on that strategy by implementing growth initiatives for new and existing dealers, and effectively driving achievement of objectives through the strong performance of their team. DSMs will be assigned to dealers based on geographic region.
Key Customer Relationships
Right Sales Representative Skills, Behaviors
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with customers and prospects.
- Participates in dealer visits with Account Managers to provide strategic dealer leadership and Account Manager development.
- Represents ultimate responsibility for dealer relationships, ensures dealer satisfaction with USSCO.
- Coordinates the involvement of company personnel, including support, service, and management resources, in order to meet account performance objectives and customers’ expectations.
- Develops, implements, and manages district sales strategy to achieve district and category expansion goals.
- Leads and supports Account Managers on constructing dealer contracts (LPRs).
- Leads Account Managers in the Territory Planning and Development Process.
- Empowers team to gain market share through dealer acquisition activity.
- Directs Account Managers and other direct reports to flexibly support dealer growth and service via a sustainable segmentation model.
Discipline of Management Processes and Tools
- Leads, motivates, coaches, and inspires Account Managers and other direct reports to achieve sales and growth goals.
- Leads team by example using the United Stationers' Core Values; leads others to promote and integrate objectives deemed critical by the company.
- Works with direct reports to prepare and implement individual development plans to set and achieve goals; provides positive and constructive feedback; and manages rewards.
- Manages and tracks the overall sales performance of the district, including reviewing of reports, managing contracts and conducting compliance review for pricing.
- Manages the performance of direct reports via performance management, information sharing (i.e., cascading USSCO communications, weekly team calls), and people and administrative management (i.e., performance reviews, time off approvals, etc.).
- Recruits, assesses, hires, and onboards new talent; terminates employees if needed.
- Develops a budget and manages expenses within budget parameters.
- Translates district and category goals to targets for account leaders and direct reports.
- Provides input to FSC on programs & pricing.
- Allocates resources to meet or exceed district profitability, sales, and margin goals.
- Directs market dealer training initiatives, approach, and offerings.
Critical Competencies Required (In order of importance)
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and provides coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills. Provides guidance and direction to other managers, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance. Inspires and motivates managers by creating an engaging work environment, providing recognition and incentives, as well as monitoring compliance with standards.
Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Works strategically in the district to accurately predict future industry trends and identify strategic initiatives to ensure ongoing growth. Develops compelling vision for the district and communicates this vision to support strategic initiatives. Uses strategic vision to create, set, communicate, and achieve district dealer and organizational goals.
- Quickly and keenly understands dealer’s business to ensure team helps dealers grow. This includes knowledge and understanding of the financial, accounting, marketing and operational functions of a dealer. It also includes applying good business judgment to solutions.
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clearly defined objectives. Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance of self and others against deadlines and milestones.
Adapting / Responding to Change
- Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Working with People
- Shows respect for the views and contributions of other team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
Leading Service, Support, & Issue Resolution
- Leads team on use of systems and processes that enhance customer needs and satisfaction; ensures team resolves customer problems quickly and accurately; sets high standards for quality and quantity from the team; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
Additional Skills and Knowledge Required
Education and Experience
- Read and interpret various financial statements including P&L, Balance Sheets, and Cash Flow Statements.
- Knowledge of small business ERP systems, CRM, and Price Logic systems with an ability to articulate to customers how systems apply to their business.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, especially with Excel.
- Knowledge of the market and trends in the marketplace.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or similar field.
- Six years experience in direct management of sales force, or other experience leading others.
- Eight years experience in direct sales.
Successful DSMs can develop into Vice Presidents of Sales and other Director roles, including those at corporate or other business units in the organization. A strong applicant is one who is successfully performing the skills described in the sought after job descriptions.
United Stationers - 14 months ago
Don't think that United Stationers is just another paper pusher. The company is a leading wholesale distributor of office supplies and...