Account Executive-USSCO (Minneapolis)
This position is responsible for driving growth, mainly through dealer expansion and strong business results in assigned dealers. KAEs are expected to build, identify, and implement strategies that enable growth. KAEs are a dealer’s point person and, thus, are responsible for overall management of assigned accounts; assisting with growth and enabling dealers to gain a competitive advantage via innovative strategic positioning in the marketplace; and spearheading resolution to dealer issues. The primary segment for KAEs is with partner dealers between $2.4M and $6M+ in annual revenue and vendor dealers with over $6M in annual revenue.
Key Customer Relationships
Right Sales Representative Skills, Behaviors
- Effectively manages multiple relationships within the dealer (i.e., multi-level, multi-buyer), including forging strong relationships with the highest level executive at a dealer in order to grow the account.
- Ensure dealer growth by driving them into new business areas, supporting them with their deficiencies, and truly understanding their needs.
- Apply data analytics to consult with the dealer on ways to improve their business.
- Coordinates the involvement of company personnel, including support, service, and management resources, in order to meet account performance objectives and customers’ expectations.
Discipline of Management Processes and Tools
- Leads dealer growth through innovative strategy development, and implementation of growth initiatives.
- Lead solutions using the United Stationers' Core Values and other objectives deemed critical by the company.
- Partners with dealers on solutions, meets in-person with dealers to create and implement business plans for growth.
- Proactively assesses, clarifies, and validates customer needs on an ongoing basis; understands individual dealer needs.
- Proactively leads dealer strategic account planning processes that develop mutual performance objectives, financial targets, and critical milestones for a one and three-year period.
- Teaches and supports dealers on how to recruit, identify, select, onboard, and train effective sales staff.
- Leads technology-related solutions that expand growth.
- Acquires and converts new business.
- Promotes growth in all United Stationers categories.
- Understands product information and connects dealers to product experts efficiently.
- Determines, understands, and coordinates the involvement of company personnel, including support, service, and management resources, in order to meet account performance objectives and customers’ expectations.
- Creates and implements effective dealer pricing strategies.
Critical Competencies (In order of importance)
- Quickly and keenly understands dealer’s business to ensure team helps dealers grow. This includes knowledge and understanding of the financial, accounting, marketing and operational functions of a dealer. It also includes applying good business judgment to solutions.
Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Works strategically to accurately predict future industry trends affecting their dealers, and identify strategic initiatives to ensure their ongoing growth. Develops compelling vision and communicates this vision to support strategic initiatives for assigned dealers. Uses strategic vision to create, set, communicate, and achieve dealer goals.
Persuading and Influencing
- Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes own ideas and those of others; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage one’s impression on others.
Planning and Organizing
- Sets clearly defined objectives. Plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
Relating and Networking
- Easily establishes good relationships with customers and teams (internal staff); relates well to people at all levels; builds wide and effective networks of contacts; uses humor appropriately to bring warmth to relationships with others.
Presenting and Communicating Information
- Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; projects credibility.
Providing Service, Support, & Issue Resolution
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; resolves customer problems quickly and accurately; sets high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic, methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves project goals.
Adapting / Responding to Change
- Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.
Additional Skills and Knowledge Required
Education and Experience
- Advanced skill in Microsoft Office including, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Expertise with CRM and/or relational database programs
- Understanding of e-business and e-marketing
- Applying and understanding pricing strategies
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or similar field
- Five years outside sales experience or similar
- Experience leading people
Successful KAEs can develop into DSMs or Vice Presidents of Sales. Other careers include joining a strategic team in any department, including VP and Director roles that focus on cross functional team leadership. A strong applicant is one who is successfully performing the skills described in the sought after job descriptions.
Don't think that United Stationers is just another paper pusher. The company is a leading wholesale distributor of office supplies and...