Carpenter Co. has an excellent opportunity for a Sales Representative to manage and sell accounts for our Russellville Division (Ky, IN, TN areas) This position has the flexibility in working in different areas to maintain relationships with existing accounts as well as generate new business. Our high-quality and well-known foam and fiber comfort cushioning products support industries such as bedding, packaging, furniture and variety of others. This will cover the mid-south region and will report to the Regional Sales Manager at the Russellville, KY plant location.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Perform all duties associated with the marketing and selling of products to existing accounts while continuously identifying and expanding market share through new account sales. Visit customers and branches.
- Develop and maintain customer accounts for the Russellville Division including branches. This area covers the mid-south region.
- Follow-up on customer related issues utilizing input from sales management, plant operations and our R&D technical team.
- Communicate thoroughly and effectively with customers and Carpenter personal-Prepare weekly sales reports outlining successes, issues and other relevant information relating to customers
- Prepare weekly sales reports outlining successes, issues and other relevant information relating to customers.
Daily communication with current and prospective customers, as well as, with direct management, peer sales reps, customers, service support staff, and Corporate support staff. Extensive travel required to maintain and expand account base. Works in a normal sales environment with exposure to weather conditions while making sales calls. Major challenge of the position involves increasing customer accounts, increase volume of sales at competitive prices .
Internal Communication: Daily contact with sales and branch managers in person or by phone. Collect customer and competitor information and committee to the other sales force.
External Communications: Visit key customers average five per week. Visit outside Carpenter branches monthly to review customer’s requirements and sales. Visit internal branches weekly to review customers and sales.
Working Conditions: Extensive travel to customers by automobile in varied weather conditions. Personal time spent about 20% in normal office, 40% traveling to and visiting external branches; reviewing customer spec and requirements. 40% traveling to or at customers’ office or plants. Traveling: 50% driving; 50% flying.
Major Challenges and Complexities: The rapid change in the market place. We cover many different markets: furniture, bedding, packaging, fiber, and others with most of the major competition with plants in our area. The challenges are not only to maintain effective customer relations but to improve and expand our market share. The need for price increase and the changes requires. The complexity of customer specs, need to keep branch current on customers’ requirements. Also the need to know a mix of business that fits our ability. Another area that requires attention is the business that effects other divisions with common customers.
No phone calls or agencies, please.
Carpenter Co. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other legally protected characteristic.
~Major duties and responsibilities of the job can be satisfactorily performed with completion of a bachelor’s degree
~ Prefer two to four years’ experience required to perform the job
~ Must be able to travel
1. Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
2. Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
3. Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
4. Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
5. Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
6. Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.