The purpose of this position is to maintain and verify the accuracy of the City's payroll related accounts within a complex payroll and accounting system. This is accomplished by researching and maintaining the accounting treatment of complex transactions related to payroll processing and payroll budget preparation. This position assists the Payroll Specialist with bi-weekly payroll processing. Other duties may include assisting with payroll cash management, completing special projects as assigned, and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Assists with bi-weekly payroll processing by reviewing changes entered into the system for accuracy and keying entries and changes into the system. Coordinates and reviews payroll-related general ledger accounts, reconciliations and posting of journal entries. Maintains documentation for payroll related check requests, journal entries and electronic funds. Coordinates and reviews cash related payroll transactions in a timely manner. Prepares year-end compensating absences journal entries and annual audit work papers related to salary and benefit expenditures.
- Performs payroll related tax, payment and reporting activities including ensuring compliance with state and federal regulations; and filing federal payroll tax returns IRS garnishments and child support payments. Researches laws and regulations regarding taxes and payroll withholding procedures. Prepares the monthly Texas Municipal Retirement report, quarterly IRS 941 report, annual W2’s, workers compensation and Texas Workforce Commission reports and verifies payments are correct, timely and reconcile to the general ledger. Coordinates with Human Resources personnel to reconcile employee/COBRA/retiree benefit receivable/payable accounts.
- Assists with payroll software maintenance and controls. Prepares payroll software for new tax calendar year, identify the need for system revisions, formulating system requests, recommendations and analyzing post-implementation results of system changes and training of employees. Ensures software changes affecting the general ledger are implemented correctly and timely.
- Assists with preparation of annual payroll expenditure budgets by coordinating system set-up, reviewing checks and balances, completing necessary changes, running reports, and checking reports for accuracy regarding payroll information in the annual budget report.
- Provides support by filing and compiling reports, creating and preparing spreadsheets for special projects and providing assistance and information on financial and accounting issues. Monitors, researches, and advises management of changes and interpretations in laws, policies and processes regarding payroll related transactions.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires broad knowledge in a general profession or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Bachelor's Degrees in Business, Accounting, or Finance are preferred.
Over one year up to and including two years of relevant experience. Applicants that have two or more years of relevant experience are preferred.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Driver's License
Advanced - Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Advanced - Ability to apply fundamental concepts of theories, work with advanced mathematical operations methods, and functions of real and complex variables. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in at the college level or above. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives limited directions. The employee normally performs the duty assignment according to his or her own judgment, requesting supervisory assistance only when necessary. The assignment may be reviewed upon completion. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Occasional: 20% or less of work time.
City of Allen, TX - 19 months ago
- 1 day ago
North Texas Food Bank
North Texas Food Bank
- 5 days ago
Christus Continuing Care
CHRISTUS Continuing Care
- 1 day ago