Prepares and files excise tax and sales and use tax returns with various federal, state and local jurisdictions. Collects and analyzes revenue, inventory and tax payment accounting data required to file tax returns in all jurisdictions that impose such taxes. Conducts a variety of tax compliance, planning and research tasks.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: (functions considered essential as defined by ADA)
May include some or all of the following duties:
- Conducts, prepares and coordinates the filing of excise tax, sales and use tax for filing with various federal, state and local taxing jurisdictions and outside consultants.
- Works with other departments to ensure the correct application of all excise/sales and use taxes, and compliance with current tax laws.
- Retrieves, records, and retains financial information and prepare payment requests for all excise/sales and use taxes.
- Communicates with taxing jurisdictions and respond to questions raised with respect to state excise and sales/use taxes.
- Communicates with outside vendors, customers, taxing jurisdictions and Company personnel responding to excise and sales and use tax questions and bring potential liability issues to the attention of Tax management.
- Works closely with various Company departments, including Accounting, Accounts Payable, Revenue Accounting, Contract Administration, and Refining and Marketing to ensure appropriate excise and sales and use taxes are paid and accrued in compliance with current tax laws.
- Reconciles tax general ledger accounts and assist Accounting department in development of tax accruals, entries and adjustments.
- Obtains, reviews, and maintains tax exemption certifications from customers on a daily basis for federal and state excise taxes and sale/use taxes.
- Obtains proper licensing for new states and jurisdictions for excise tax and sales/use.
- Performs tax research as needed and assist in state excise and sale/use tax audits which may include gathering materials including but not limited to lifting or carrying boxes and files and transporting on a file cart.
- Approves sales contracts on a daily basis, determining correct taxes are being charged for customers who purchase various products that may affect both origin and destination tax collection.
- Assists supervisor with review of tax assessments made on Company, and in the analysis, negotiation, and preparation of formal responses or amended returns, and processing of appeals to federal, state and local tax authorities.
- Works with Treasury to setup tax payments for state excise and sales/use tax returns.
- Conveys potential liability issues to the attention of Tax Management.
- Reconciles inventory for terminals and file IRS 4010/4030 Exstars Terminal Operator Reports for all terminal receipts and disbursements of petroleum products on a monthly basis.
- Files various state terminal operator reports for Holly Energy Partners, L.P on a monthly basis.
Special assignments or tasks assigned by the supervisor, as determined from time to time in their sole and complete discretion
A minimum of three years of professional work experience handling federal and/or state tax and accounting matters with a minimum of two years working knowledge in tax reporting process, federal and state tax procedures, and awareness of recent tax changes required.
One to three years experience with motor fuel excise taxes preferred. Public accounting and energy industry experience a plus.
A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in an accounting, finance, or equivalent business discipline is required.
Ability to analyze account entries and adjustments, and use mathematical skills to calculate taxes accurately. Basic personal computer skills are required, with intermediate skill level in MS Word and Excel. Ability to effectively communicate with others, written or verbal, with intermediate to advanced reading and writing skills, and the ability to perform moderate to advanced mathematical calculations.
Knowledge of SAP a plus. Advanced skill level in MS Excel preferred (i.e. advanced formulas and calculations).
Office based with up to 10% travel required by land or air. On occasion may work in a refinery based environment that may require on occasion work out doors, subject to varying road and weather conditions.
Job conditions require standing, sitting, twisting, stooping, crouching, kneeling, talking or hearing, making visual inspections, making precise hand and finger movements, reaching or grasping, lifting or carrying up to 10 lbs, pushing or pulling up to 10 lbs and the ability to operate and drive all assigned company vehicles at company standard insurance rates is essential, and a valid State driver’s license and proof of insurance required. Job conditions may require walking.
ENVIROMENTAL, HEALTH, & SAFTEY RESPONSIBILITES:
Our primary values at HollyFrontier are: We put health and safety first; We care about the environment.
All HollyFrontier employees are expected to work safely every day and be safety & environmental leaders. This includes active participation in the following:
- Stops and/or reports any unsafe work or conditions
- Follows safety & environmental policies and procedures
- Supports safety & environmental goals and initiatives
- Participates in safety & environmental meetings, training, emergency drills and hazard recognition programs
- Reports all accidents, injuries and near misses, and participates in associated investigations
- Participates in industrial hygiene, medical surveillance and behavior based safety programs