Under the direction of the Payroll Manager, performs a variety of payroll related accounting duties. Responsible for the analysis, reconciliation and accuracy of assigned general ledger accounts. Prepares a variety of reports, including providers’ productivity report. Prepares and maintains monthly salary/effort allocation entries and the recording of the fringe benefit, maintains the 403b and 457 retirement contributions records. Researches and advises payroll staff concerning the accounting treatment of complex transactions. May perform periodic internal audits of various payroll areas and prepare materials for external or internal auditors.
- Audits and reviews bi-weekly payroll.
- Audits and reviews personnel files for compliance with regulatory requirements, e.g. I-9, SSN, action forms, OIG, GSA and Medi-Cal for debarment checks/verification.
- Maintains the 403b and 457 retirement contribution records, including insuring bi-weekly contribution remittance.
- Performs analysis and reconciliation of balance sheet and P&L accounts to ensure proper reporting in the organization's financial reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Prepares other payroll and accounts payable journal entries, remittances and accruals as required and necessary.
- Prepares, distributes and maintains monthly salary and effort allocation.
- Prepares, maintains and distributes detailed payroll, productivity and other financial reports.
- Provides back up assistance to payroll department staff as needed.
- Responsible for posting monthly payroll entries and remitting payroll fringe related liabilities to respective third parties.
- Reviews and performs analysis of financial reports to identify errors, misstatements or unrecorded transactions and initiates prompt and proper correction.
- A minimum of 2 years experience as an accountant with payroll accounting responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or closely related field required.
- Experience as a payroll accountant in a health care environment is preferred.
- Ability to facilitate management and employee understanding of payroll procedures; ability to conduct/facilitate formal and informal workshops, training, and other educational venues.
- Computer proficiency Word, Excel.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, time-management skills, and strong motivation to meet deadlines and achieve goals.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills coupled with the ability to think strategically.
- Thorough knowledge of current state and federal wage and hour laws and regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of payroll accounting regulations, procedures, policies and practices.
Family Health Centers of San Diego - 18 months ago