A national non-profit organization headquartered in Washington, D.C., seeks an experienced, Accounting Manager.
The Finance Department is responsible for managing the organization’s fiscal affairs including financial reporting, management of cash and endowment investments, budgeting, payroll and all accounting functions. The Accounting Manager is a hands-on manager responsible for day-to-day accounting operations, maintaining the general ledger, preparing financial reports, assisting the Controller in execution of the annual audit, and clearly communicating financial information to all staff and external stakeholders. This position reports to the Controller.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Closing the books each month on a timely basis.
- Reconciling bank and investment accounts and sub-ledgers to the general ledger.
- Implementing accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls and modifying them as needed to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Preparation of schedules and financial reports, including monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial statements prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Assist the Controller in providing other managers and departments with accounting information required to carry out their assigned responsibilities.
- Utilize the accounting system (currently Microsoft Dynamics SL) in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Ensure that all routine and appropriate accounting entries are processed for monthly closing. Prepare or approve journal entries; review subsidiary ledgers and reconcile to the general ledger. Maintain monthly accounting records with all supporting schedules in an organized manner, including the monthly closing checklist.
- Develop and distribute policies and procedures of accounting practices, and provide training for directors and administrative staff as needed. Ensure that accounting policies and procedures manual is thorough and current.
- Monitor and comply with federal and state laws in terms of remitting taxes, preparing timely and accurate reports and maintaining appropriate records.
- Maintain detailed fixed assets schedule and recording depreciation.
- Lead the annual external audit process (from start to end). Ensure that the accurate schedules are prepared for external auditors in a timely manner.
- Team player that takes pride and ownership of his/her work and is willing to pitch in and take on new assignments as needed.
- Function as an integral part of the Finance team and support other teams charged with achieving the mission and goals of the organization.
- Four-Year Degree from an accredited institution
- CPA or CPA candidate
- Three years of accounting experience (at a minimum)
- Non-profit or grant reporting experience required
- At least two years experience using Dynamics SL preferred
- Excellent communication skills and ability to explain financial information to those without a financial background verbally and via email
- Goal oriented team player
- Attention to detail and extremely well organized.
Please submit resume with salary requirement