The Teacher Education Department at Hamline University’s School of Education seeks to expand its excellent group of adjunct faculty to teach students in its various licensure programs and is currently looking for candidates with expertise in K-6 health education. Courses are offered year-round, and assignments are possible in: fall (September-December) winter (January-term), spring (February-May), and summer (June-August) semesters. This posting is intended to create a pool of candidate to call upon if vacancies arise. These are non-tenured positions paid on a per course basis.
The selected candidate(s) may:
1. Teach one or more sections of Teaching Health in K-6 each semester (including fall, spring, and summer semesters). Currently, courses are offered during the weekday evenings. The format is teaching in 4-hour slots over 3 weeks (for a 1-credit class).
2. Assist the department chair with course revisions as requested.
3. Work on independent/individualized studies courses with licensure students on topics including critical issues in health education, school health programs, and other health-related methods courses for K-12 teachers.
4. Other paid opportunities may be available including supervising student teachers.
1. A master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education in one of the following areas: education, health education, physical education, or closely related field.
2. At least 3 years of successful K-12 teaching experience in the U.S. related to the content area and grade level.
3. Ability to effectively teach diverse adult learners using a range of instructional strategies.
4. Commitment to preparing in-service and pre-service teachers to effectively work in urban and urban-like settings.
5. Excellent communication and organizational skills.
6. Willingness to attend periodic in-services and meetings.
1. Doctoral degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
2. Recent and successful teaching experience in urban/urban-like public K-12 schools in Minnesota.
3. Prior and successful experience teaching in a teacher-licensure program.
4. Membership in professional organizations such as American Association for Health Education.
To apply for an adjunct position, please e-mail the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org as .doc/.rtf or .pdf documents:
1. Cover letter (please do not exceed 2 pages) articulating your areas of expertise and interest in teaching for the Teacher Education Department at Hamline University; include your philosophy toward preparing pre-teachers to work in multicultural K-12 setting.
2. Attach a current CV/resume; dates of degree completion and employment history required. Include a list of three professional references who are familiar with your ability to teach diverse adult learners; please include full contact information and reference’s title.
3. Arrange for official copies of transcripts showing highest degree earned to be mailed to:
Teacher Education Department
Attn: Yvonne Wells-Ellis
Hamline University School of Education
1536 Hewitt Avenue | MS-A1720
Saint Paul, MN 55104-1284
Only electronic applications will be reviewed. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the positions are filled.
Questions about the Teacher Education Department programs and qualifications for adjunct appointments may be directed to the Chair or Associate Chair:
Rachel Endo, Ph.D.
Chair, Teacher Education Department
Bill Lindquist, Ph.D.
Associate Chair, Teacher Education Department
For more information about Hamline University, visit our website at:
Hamline University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Hamline University - 20 months ago