Job Summary: |
This pool has been established to accept applications for possible openings for part-time Community Education instructors that may arise throughout the academic year.
· Courses contained to 5 week classes held once a week for 2 hours each.
· Two sessions of 5 weeks each per quarter.
· Course Instructors are paid at competitive rate, based on course being lecture, lecture/lab or lab based events.
· Classification of courses and credit value will depend on the curriculum proposed, but in general courses should be considered 1 credit.
· Students are active, lifelong learners who would like academic level thinking provided to the adult learner.
· Population attending: 50+ with careers, large portion of members are retired professionals
· Looking for instructors to teach in various subjects that would be of community interest such as (but not limited to):
· Anthropology, Art and Art Appreciation, Botany, Community Awareness – (Safety/Philanthropy), Computer, Crafts, Culinary Training, Culture, Economics/Finance, Family, Fitness, Health, Health – Nutrition – Psychology, History, Home & Garden, Humanities, Languages, Literature, Mathematics, Media, Music, Philosophy, Science/Nature, Social Sciences, Software, Special Interests – willing to promote seminars or short type trainings, Technology, Theatre, Travel
· Responsible for providing quality instruction that will provide learning experiences that will contribute to the learning experiences necessary for each student to meet the objectives of the course and to be successful in both their education and career development experiences.
· Instruct students in a classroom, lab, learning center or other setting as appropriate.
· Prepare, distribute and utilize instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and other devices as appropriate; incorporate the latest classroom technology when available and appropriate into instructional activities.
· Structure classes and curriculum to correspond with the overall program objectives; prepare clear objectives for students each course. Maintain and revises curriculum to maintain currency.
· Understand, develop and provide a learning environment that supports diversity and incorporates sensitivity to diversity within the College community.
· Responsible for classroom, laboratory and departmental equipment and providing for the security of facilities and instructional materials as appropriate.
· Understand and abide by College policies and regulations and other policies, procedures and materials as required by the College, departments or divisions
· Convene classes on time and as scheduled.
· Ensure and emphasize safe working and classroom conditions and practices.
· May participate in professional development activities.
· Maintain current licenses or certificates in areas of expertise.
· May attend in-service sessions and division meetings.
· May direct aides and work-study students as assigned.
· Understand and use the College’s computer system.
Competencies & Requirements:
· Ability to effectively combine an array of methods to enhance understanding, including demonstrations, lectures, group discussions and activities, individual activities, etc. Understand which teaching methods best serve the student’s needs, interests, and ability to learn.
· Ability to develop accurate standards to measure learning or administer testing or other evaluations to determine effectiveness and ensure a high level of comprehension has been achieved.
· Ability to recognize the value of cultural, ethnic, gender and other individual differences in people.
· Demonstrated subject matter expertise
· Teaching experience
Conditions/Terms of Employment:
Adjunct instructors teach part-time and continued employment may be based on enrollment. Persons hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of lawful authorization to work in the United States within three (3) days of employment and provide transcripts. Candidate may be subject to a criminal history background check as a condition for consideration of employment.
Required Application Materials:
This position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed as they are received. To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet the required qualifications and competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
WWCC reserves the right to not fill this position, reject all applicants, reopen the position or make a direct appointment. Applications received during the recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies at the College’s discretion.
- Online application
- Cover letter describing your teaching philosophy and detailing how you meet the qualifications and competencies for this position.
- License or Certification of applicable
- Contact information for three professional references
- Transcripts if applicable (unofficial are acceptable for the application process)
Walla Walla Community College - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard