This is a full-time, tenure-track, 10 month-per-year position. This assignment involves teaching 50% Administration of Justice and 50% Aviation Pilot Training instruction in the Technology and Aviation Division at the Community College level. Responsibilities include certificate offerings as well as transfer level courses. Full-time members of our teaching faculty maintain 19 instructional and 5 office hours per week and are expected to devote as much time as necessary to perform the professional responsibilities of the position. Participation in professional activities, curriculum development, and campus committees is also required. The assignment may involve teaching the evening and weekend classes. |
Starting Date :
Examples of Duties:
1. Organize materials and teach established course objectives. Coordinate instructional programs with other members of the Division.
2. Assist in the development and implementation of curriculum, policies, and procedures for the programs.
3. Provide an industry environment for students to acquire and develop technical skills.
4. Evaluate and select skill areas required to prepare students to pass the FAA written examination.
5. Share and explain a body of knowledge, skills, and experiences through examples, demonstrations, lectures, discussions, etc.
6. Maintain a safe environment and instruct students in following FAA procedures.
7. Provide physical and physiological environments conducive to effective learning.
8. Evaluate student understanding and skills.
9. Maintain various records (e.g., attendance, census, etc.).
10. Participate in campus governance and professional activities (e.g., committees, scheduling, leadership positions, etc.)
11. Participate in staff development and continuing education activities which will maintain currency in each of the teaching fields including the completion of flex hours.
12. Maintain regular posted hours, and be accessible to students.
13. Counsel, advise, and encourage students.
1. Any Bachelors or higher and two years of experience in the disciplines, and certificates or license required to do that work OR a ny Associates degree and six years of experience in the disciplines, and certificates or licenses required to do that work or the equivalent.
2. Possession of an FAA issued commercial pilot license.
3. Current CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) certificate.
1. 1500 hours of Logged Flight Time.
2. Experience in working with diverse cultural/ethnic groups.
3. Teaching experience working with adult population.
4. 6 years full-time as a peace officer.
Starting salary is from $51,781 to $71,688 per year depending upon education and experience. Step placement within the appropriate column is determined by Article VIII of the Collective Bargaining agreement. Fringe benefits, which are subject to change pursuant to negotiations under Section 3500 of the California Government Code, are presently provided and include family and domestic partner medical and dental, two-party vision plan, and employee life insurance.
All completed applications and application materials will be screened to ensure that the minimum requirements stated in the job announcement are met. Those candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and possess the highest degree of desired job-related qualifications will be invited to the college for an interview at their own expense. Each interview will include a teaching demonstration on an assigned topic. The College President will make the final recommendation to the Governing Board of Glendale Community College.
All candidates will be notified by email or mail of their final disposition in the selection process. This position is offered contingent upon funding. The district reserves the right to extend, withdraw, and/or reopen this position at any time.
How to Apply
This position requires the following documents to be attached to your online application in order to be considered:
- Current resume
- Cover letter that addresses minimum and desirable qualifications
- Three recent (within the last three years) signed and dated letters of recommendation that can attest to your professional experience.
- Transcripts showing required degree must be submitted. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted only during the application process. Official transcripts are required upon offer of employment. Foreign transcripts and degrees require official certification of equivalency to U.S. transcripts and degrees by a certified U.S. review service at the time of application.
- FAA issued commercial pilot license.
- Current CFI (Certified Flight Instructor) certificate.
Please note: All required documentation must be attached to the online application by the applicant by the closing date. Additional documents not requested in the announcement, will not be reviewed.
Your application and any required attachments must be submitted by Thurs day, February 21, 2013 by 5:00 p.m . Applications with incomplete information (i.e. statements such as - see resume) or missing documents will not be considered. If you have additional questions please call 818-240-1000 ext. 5921.
About the College
Glendale Community College (GCC) is nestled in the foothills of the San Rafael Mountains, centrally located at the intersection of three major freeways, just ten miles from downtown Los Angeles. Glendale is affectionately known as Jewel City, one of the fastest growing communities in the Southern California region. A vibrant hub of economic activity and cultural diversity; it is an exciting place to work and live!
GCC is recognized throughout the state as a model of shared governance and collegiality. Known for excellence and rigor, we have one of the highest transfer rates to the UC system and other California four-year colleges. Additionally, the college offers a broad range of vocational programs and takes pride in providing outstanding student services and curriculum to help prepare students for success in the 21st Century.
GCC is committed to maintaining an environment which provides opportunities to individuals with a wide variety of talents, experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. We believe in the importance of diversity amongst our faculty, staff, and student population to better serve the college and surrounding communities.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Glendale Community College District provides all applicants for district employment with equal employment opportunities and provides present employees with training, compensation, promotion, and all other attributes of employment without regard to a person’s race, religious creed, color, age, sex, national origin, veterans’ status, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, gender identity or disability.
Applicants who require a reasonable accommodation for the application, testing or interviewing processes should contact the Human Resources Department at the time of application submission.
Thank you for your interest in employment opportunities with Glendale Community College.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Anita Quinonez Gabrielian, Dr. Armine G. Hacopian, Dr. Vahe Peroomian, Ann H. Ransford and Anthony P. Tartaglia
CALIFORNIA COMMUNITY COLLEGES: THE WAY CALIFORNIA WORKS
Glendale Community College - 15 months ago