The Virginia Museum of Natural History is seeking an Administrative Assistant for its Research and Collections Division. This is a full-time position with an excellent state benefits package.
The purpose of the position is to provide administrative support to the Research and Collections Division and to manage daily support functions of the Division to ensure smooth and efficient operations. The Administrative Assistant reports to the Director of Research and Collections, but also serves as administrative support to four staff scientists, collections manager, registrar, librarian, and lab technicians. The successful candidate would be a detail-oriented individual with prior exeprience working for multiple department members in a fast-paced, professional setting.
1. Schedules meetings; prepares agendas; records and transcribes meeting notes accurately and in a timely manner.
2. Collects data, compiles reports, performs statistical and research work as assigned; and prepares rough and final drafts of reports accurately and in a timely manner.
3. Assists supervisor in arranging appointments and preparing for meetings.
4. Assists with the management of the office/unit budget as needed.
5. Performs tasks that may involve issues of a sensitive or confidential nature; uses sound judgment and discretion in confidential matters.
6. Establishes tracking and monitoring systems and conducts follow up to ensure effective resolution of matters tracked.
7. Obtains data and information from various internal and external sources to help prepare reports and related presentation materials.
8. Prepares and organizes copies of materials using digital scanners, photocopiers, and other equipment.
9. Maintains and controls data and/or filing systems to ensure effective, accurate, and easily retrievable documentation of operations and project activities.
10. Analyzes routine operating practices and procedures and makes recommendations to ensure smooth and efficient office operations.
11. Updates social media pages as requested.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Associate degree or training and experience equivalent to associate degree.
2. At least three years related experience.
3. Intermediate to advanced knowledge of computer programs to include word processing, spreadsheets, graphics, databases, and electronic mail software found in such products as Microsoft Office.
4. Knowledge of administrative support practices and procedures.
5. Knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
6. Knowledge of methods and techniques in composing written communcations such as responses to inquiries, meeting notes, and narrative reports;
7. Ability to understand, explain, and apply policies and procedures.
8. Ability to verify accuracy of information, resolve discrepancies, and follow up on outstanding activities.
9. Ability to communicate effectively verballly and in writing with other museum professionals, visiting faculty members, visitors, and the general public.
10. Ability to coordinate and prioritize simultaneous projects, and then to work independently.
1. Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite and standard office technology and equipment.
2. Proficiency in social media communications, such as Facebook and Twitter.
3. Knowledge of natural sciences.
4. Knowledge of operations and services of Research and Collections Division.
Virginia Jobs - 19 months ago