The Administrative Assistant in Joslin's Research Division provides administrative assistance and support to Dr. Kulkarni (Section on Islet Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine) and Dr. Wagers (Section on Developmental and Stem Cell Biology) and Dr. Cypess (Section on Integrative Physiology and Metabolism).
The Administrative Assistant must be able to handle many requests on his/her own, prioritize tasks, and be capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously. While the PI’s are traveling, the assistant must be able to work independently and address urgent issues in their absence.
This position is 30-32 hours per week (Monday-Friday).
This position is benefits eligible.
Responsibilities include working with the Pre-Award Associate Director in the Office of Sponosred Research in the preparation of non-scientific components of grant applications and progress reports and coordination of scientific sections. Responsible for coordinating administrative operations of scientific core facilities directed by Drs. Kulkarni and Wagers, including scheduling of monthly meetings, collation of user data, and assistance with billing and purchasing. Responsible for coordinating investigator travel and reimbursement requests, scheduling meetings and setting up conference calls. Responsible for placing orders requested by laboratory and/or section personnel using a computerized ordering system, which has been instituted throughout the entire Center. The administrative assistant will work closely with Laboratory Managers, the PI, and Research Administrators in the use of grant funding for purchases.
- Oversee lab and section grant applications of investigators and fellows.
- Oversee correspondence and mail (both written and electronic) .
- Coordinate travel arrangements and daily scheduling.
- Receive visitors to the lab and assure they locate appropriate staff.
- Complete secretarial activities to support lab members; including typing and transcription, photocopying, faxing and assistance in preparation of correspondence, papers for publication, meeting abstracts, and grants. Prepare non-scientific components of grant applications.
- Prepare timesheets and distribute payroll checks.
- Oversee general office responsibilities and maintenance of office equipment and supplies.
- Obtain book and journal articles as requested by staff.
- Electronic ordering for lab/office supplies.
- Maintain Reference Manager Database and use in manuscript preparation. Obtain author signatures and copyrights for manuscript submission.
- Ensure administrative procedures and documents are followed and filed.
- Assist in preparation of correspondence, hotel reservation, travel accommodations and announcements related to invited guests and lab staff.
- Troubleshooting of problems with computers, printers, fax machine, photocopier.
- Sorting mail and scheduling calendar events.
- Answer office telephones and transfer calls to appropriate staff or take telephone messages and convey these in a timely manner.
- Act as Administrative contact for relevant Joslin Core Facilities.
- Arrange, co-ordinate and distribute lab meeting schedules
- Contributes to the Research Division team effort by providing cross coverage with other Section Administrative Assistants.
- Supports effort to keep all Research Division activities functioning smoothly by participating in Division-wide efforts.
- Associates degree or two years of college
- One year of relevant working experience
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- Good typing skills (min 50 wpm) and knowledge of Microsoft Office (particularly use of Outlook for scheduling and correspondence and Excel for database management).
- Strong writing and composition skills
- Act as a resource for multiple software programs
- Ability to work independently and pro-actively
- Ability to work under constant distractions and interruptions
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
Joslin Diabetes Center - 21 months ago