Administrative Assistant - Human Resources
Overview of RAND
The RAND Corporation is a nonprofit institution that helps improve policy and decisionmaking through research and analysis. For over 60 years, decision makers in the public and private sectors have turned to RAND for objective analysis and effective solutions that address the issues that matter most, such as health, education, national security, international affairs, law and business, and the environment. Our research is commissioned by a global clientele that includes government agencies, foundations, and private-sector firms. Headquartered in Santa Monica, California, RAND has approximately 1,700 people from more than 50 countries working in offices in North America, Europe, and the Middle East, with research organized across ten units and annual revenues of more than $250 million.
The HR Assistant will provide a wide variety of routine to complex administrative and technical support in all facets of Human Resources work to HR staff in the Santa Monica office and will work closely with a team of HR Assistants in both the Santa Monica and Washington offices. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Partnering with the GRT Summer Associate and Campus Recruiting team to coordinate recruiting efforts for those programs in order to develop a key talent pipeline
- Representing HR to the RAND Santa Monica staff and assisting with general HR inquiries
- Providing support to applicants throughout the recruitment process; identifying areas for improvement in the application processing and implementing solutions
- Maintaining candidate documents, creating and sending offer letters and relocation agreements, updating PeopleSoft with candidate status information, and acting as a point of contact for candidate status inquiries
- Working with the recruiting staff and HR Services Managers to coordinate placement of recruitment advertising with various media including academic journals and targeted recruiting websites
- Supporting departmental performance review cycles
- Assisting with tracking and administering employee leaves, including preparation of standard leave approval letters and disability paperwork
- Maintaining employee data using a digital document management system
- Assisting with HR project work (i.e. assisting in benchmarking HR best practices, identifying successful social media practices for job advertisement)
- Other day-to-day responsibilities may include drafting correspondence; preparing and proofreading presentation materials, preparing data and reports and other administrative support as requested.
- Advanced computer skills in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel are required; familiarity with PeopleSoft or other HRIS is desirable
- Excellent proofreading skills and the ability to initiate and draft correspondence
- A strong service orientation is required and the ability to establish effective working relationships with RAND staff and external applicants
- Very strong organizational skills and ability to work fairly independently; follow-through to ensure completion of tasks and initiative to resolve issues as they arise
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks within specific timeframes; the ability to effectively function in a demanding, fast-paced work environment
- Good judgment and the ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality at all times are required
Bachelor's degree is preferred
Minimum five years of administrative experience is required. HR or recruiting knowledge and/or experience is a plus, but is not required.
Santa Monica, CA