If you have already applied for this posting, you need not re-apply. You will be considered for both positions.
Looking for a customer-oriented place to apply your fantastic skills in office organization? Consider growing your career at the Health Department. The Environmental Health Division is recruiting for 2 Regular, Full-time Administrative Assistant II positions. One position will be assigned to our Food and Community Safety Program, the other position will be assigned to the Environmental Health Division. The successful candidates for both positions must have excellent data entry, telephone skills and be able to manage multiple deadlines.
This is an intermediate-level clerical classification with responsibility for providing administrative support requiring versatility and skill using a variety of software applications and in-depth knowledge of office processes. Work includes a variety of less routine complex clerical assignments and projects involving technology support, general office support, customer service, billing and bookkeeping.
Some of what you'll do:
• Enter data, and maintain complex electronic and/or manual files systems.
• Provide specialized and/or technical program-specific information that requires limited interpretation of established policies, procedures and other relevant sources to internal and/or external customers.
• Prepare or assist in research, compilation and tracking of data, and coordination of reports, presentations, and records using software skills and information searches using a variety of resources.
• Provide orientation, technical assistance with software applications and office equipment, and cross training for clerical personnel within the program.
• Research, respond and track customer complaints, billing errors, etc.
• Interview internal and external customers to establish program-specific documentation and/or identify services needed.
• Perform calculations involving billing, cashiering and reconciling accounts.
• Maintain inventory, submit purchase orders, receive and distribute supplies and equipment.
• Compose, proofread and edit documents, contracts, and correspondence involving sensitive and confidential information.
• Process, prioritize and respond to incoming mail and email.
• Record and transcribe minutes and meeting notes.
• Schedule meetings and maintain calendars for managerial staff, work unit and program.
• May provide back-up for Administrative Assistant I staff.
What you bring to the table:
Your demonstrated ability to:
- Precisely and efficiently enter alpha-numeric information into multiple software systems.
- Make appropriate use of available technologies to communicate and process work.
- Use active listening skills and respond appropriately to others.
- Recognize the role culture plays in communication and apply that understanding to interact sensitively, effectively and professionally with external and internal customers from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educational and professional backgrounds.
- Solicit external and internal customer input and insure customer needs are met.
- Participate productively as a team member and team leader.
- Prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Take responsibility for outcomes of assigned tasks.
- Improve the quality of services, processes and products.
- Assist in drafting clear, concise and effective correspondence and reports.
Who should apply:
Associate’s degree; and two or more years of progressively responsible experience in an office setting, or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform the essential functions of work.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed almost exclusively indoors in an office environment. Exposure to hazards is limited to those commonly found in government office environments.
- The potential for dealing with dissatisfied or angry customers exists, requiring skills in conflict resolution.
Tools and Equipment
- Work involves special physical demands such as lifting and carrying 25 - 50 lbs, i.e. office supplies, cases of paper, archive boxes.
- Duties require the use of standard office furniture and equipment (e.g., desk, filing cabinet, computer, printer, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, etc.)
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department - 6 months ago
copy to clipboard