The mission of Family Network, a Family Focus Center, is to promote the well being of children from birth by supporting and strengthening their families in and with their communities. The After School Activity Program (ASAP), in partnership with North Shore School District 112, provides programming for Highland Park/Highwood children in afternoon kindergarten through fifth grade.
The ASAP Site Coordinator/Head Teacher is responsible for daily coordination and supervision of the site, staff and children. This school year position is approximately 20 hours per week, 3-6 PM plus planning time, with occasional full or half days. The ASAP Site Coordinator reports to the ASAP Director.
Mandatory Job Qualifications
• Dedication to enhancing each child’s physical, intellectual, emotional, and social development
• Respect for children and adults
• Creativity, flexibility, understanding, patience and enthusiasm
• An understanding of school-age children, including their developmental characteristics
• Sensitivity to children's socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds
• Attention to children’s individual needs and capabilities
• Use of positive discipline and guidance techniques
• Ability to provide an environment in which children can feel a sense of belonging
• Commitment to the principles of family support and strength-based practice
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise, plan, and implement creative activities that will accomplish ASAP’s goals and objectives
• Maintain consistent supervision and active involvement with children at all times
• Maintain a warm, caring and non-judgmental attitude towards children and their families
• Share responsibility for organization and maintenance of facility and materials
• Coordinate and facilitate the staff team; supervise staff meetings with open, constructive communication
• Maintain records as required
• Interact with parents in a positive, collaborative manner
• Participate in orientation, on-going training and in-service education programs
• Communicate with ASAP Director regarding issues and concerns, accidents, illness, etc.
• Abide by Family Network personnel policies
• Accept other duties as assigned.
• BA degree with a concentration in courses related to school-age child care, child development, elementary education or other related fields
• At least 1,560 clock hours of child development experience in a school, recreational program or a licensed day care center serving school-age children
• Availability to work ASAP hours, including annually occurring full and half days
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to work with families, staff and administrators
• Basic computer skills – knowledge of Microsoft Word and the internet
• Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable
• References upon request
NPO.net - 20 months ago