After School Counselors
Grades K to 6
Central Queens Y is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community center serving over 10,000 persons of diverse backgrounds in Queens County. The CQY provides a continuum of social, recreational, and educational services for children, families and adults. For over two generations, the Central Queens Y, located in Forest Hills Queens, has been a special place for thousands of families, older adults, children and individuals who participate in its parenting, preschool, after school, cultural arts, camping, health and fitness, social services, and senior programming.
We are currently looking for counselors to staff our various after school programs. Salary is dependant on schooling & grade level. Strong preference for candidates that can commit to five (5) days a week from approximately 2:00–6:30 p.m.
Applicants should be high school or college age . This is NOT a position for a therapist .
Job summary: Promote growth, leadership and positive self-image in all youth in our after-school programs for K–6th grade. Lead young people in group activities.
- One (1) or more years youth work experience (after school and/or summer camp setting).
- Experience working with youth in K–6th grade.
- Must be energetic, outgoing, personable, warm, enthusiastic and creative.
- Must be on time for work and be able to shut off all electronic devices while on the job.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Classroom management skills and conflict resolution skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reliability is a must for these positions. We are looking for people who can commit themselves to as many days a week as possible (ideally Monday through Friday, afternoons, part-time)
- Supervise participants from K–6th grade.
- Administrative duties include: completing and monitoring daily attendance sheets.
- Implementing daily activities and programming.
- Responsible for maintaining classroom space in an organized and clean fashion.
- Chaperone youth from one activity to another.
- Working collectively and communicating with all peer staff
- Attend counselor trainings and staff meetings