After-School Homework Room Supervisors
Central Queens Y is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community center serving over 10,000 persons of diverse backgrounds in Queens County. The CQY provides a continuum of social, recreational, and educational services for children, families and adults. For over two generations, the Central Queens Y, located in Forest Hills Queens, has been a special place for thousands of families, older adults, children and individuals who participate in its parenting, preschool, after school, cultural arts, camping, health and fitness, social services, and senior programming.
We are a community center with seven (7) after-school programs, run from different school locations within Queens. We are currently looking for Homework Room Supervisors to staff our various after-school programs. Strong preference for candidates that can commit to five (5) days a week from approximately 2:00–6:30 p.m .
1. Assists in planning, preparing, and developing various teaching aids.
2. Assists students, individually or in groups, with lesson assignments to present or reinforce learning concepts.
3. Assists in presenting subject matter to students, utilizing a variety of methods and techniques such as lecture, discussion, and supervised role playing.
4. Assists in administering pre- and post-course tests.
5. May drive children to/from branch locations.
6. Assist members with school homework.
7. Ability to communicate positively with parents on progress of their children.
8. Maintain overall cleanliness and organization of the Homework Room.
High school graduate or G.E.D. equivalent, plus meaningful work experience closely related to the tasks of the job.
Ability to plan and coordinate multiple and varied tasks.
Excellent verbal, math and written skills.
Excellent team building and team leadership skills.
Energetic and motivated.
Excellent organizational skills.
Strong communication skills.
Must be comfortable discussing issues and progress of students with their parents.
Prior experience working with children in a learning environment preferred.
Central Queens Y - 13 months ago