Rate of Pay for position is $12.00 per hour. Valid CDL and good drving record. Current DMV record required prior to offer of employment.
I. Position Identification
Under close supervision of designated lead person or supervisor, as well as operating within established guidelines and procedures, incumbent in this position works in a variety of field settings with close . Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Trapping / Survey and Eradication Activities – 55%
2. Document Work Completed – 25%
- Safely operate and maintain a motor vehicle to travel to designated work areas.
- Follow established protocols for trapping, survey or eradication work. Service traps, perform insect sweeps, visually inspect local plant hosts for target pest damage or conduct eradication treatments.
- Remove suspect plant and insect samples from foliage or from a variety of insect collection tools and check for target pests.
- Draw and follow maps when performing field activities. Use GPS technology to site-register and package samples. Maintain site location and sample integrity.
3. Collect and Submit Target Pest Samples – 10%
- Keep daily reports of work completed, i.e. number of traps serviced, properties treated, acreage surveyed, samples collected and other information as needed.
4. Interact with the Public – 5%
- Screen wet and dry traps for target pests (plant and insect). Examine contents of traps to make preliminary identification of specimens which resemble target pests.
- Take prescribed action when a preliminary identification of a target pest is made which may include, but is not limited to, drawing a map of the find site, completing a Pest Detection Report form, and placing the sample in an appropriate container.
5. Vehicle and Tool Maintenance – 5%
- Initiate contact with a property owner or representative to conduct a visual survey, place traps or carry out eradication activities.
- Briefly answer questions about the survey, detection or eradication projects and/or refer the questioner to the appropriate agency for information.
- Interact with the public in a courteous and professional manner.
- Assist with the transport of vehicles to service or storage facilities. Perform daily vehicle safety and fluid level checks. Clean vehicle interior and truck bed of debris.
- Clean, repair and store all equipment daily. Notify team lead or supervisor when equipment is in need of repair or replacement.
Duties for the job are primarily performed outside of buildings. Weather, temperature, lighting and noise levels may constantly vary. Terrain may vary from smooth and stable to irregular and unstable. The incumbent may be regularly exposed to dust, pollen, moisture and pesticide chemicals associated with insect lures and treatment activities. Driving a vehicle, as well as entering and exiting the vehicle numerous times throughout the workday, is generally required.
The incumbent in this position must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships; work well under pressure; and, work cooperatively with other staff members in completing assigned work and meeting required deadlines. The incumbent in this position will be required, with or without reasonable accommodation, to lift up to 20 pounds on a frequent basis; use repetitive arm and wrist motions; bend, stoop, twist, reach (with and without a trapping pole); and, maintain visual acuity.
For all temporary or seasonal job classifications, offers of employment are contingent upon an acceptable driving record as documented on a California Department of Motor Vehicle Driving Record. The incumbent must maintain an acceptable driving record and a valid drivers' license at all times.
Cooperative Agricultural Support Services Authority - 16 months ago