The Budget Analyst position is responsible for operating and/or capital budgetary analysis assignments for a City Service Area (CSA) and several City departments, including assisting their assigned CSA/departments in the development of their operating/capital budgets; analysis of revenue and expenditure projections; coordination and presentation of budget information to the City Manager as appropriate; preparation of the City's annual Operating and/or Capital Budgets, Annual Report, Mid-Year Budget Review, and Fees and Charges Report; review of budget-related departmental requests; development of Source and Use Statements; review of City Council memoranda for budget implications and appropriate budget language, if necessary; conducting research on budget and policy-related matters; and special projects as assigned.
Please note that this is a temporary position with an end date of 06/30/2014.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
-Education: A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university.
-Experience: Analyst I: None. Analyst II: Two years of increasingly responsible professional staff analytic or administrative experience at the level of Analyst I with the City of San Jose.
-Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Accountability - manages performance to achieve expected results.
- Analytical Thinking - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account; collects and analyzes data; uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations.
- Collaboration - develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
- Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current, well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
- Computer Skills - experience with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, and MS Excel.
- Multi-Tasking - can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application/resume information and answers to the job-specific questions. YOU MUST ANSWER ALL JOB-SPECIFIC QUESTIONS AND COMPLETE THE EDUCATION/WORK HISTORY SECTION OF THE APPLICATION IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY OR YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE DEEMED INCOMPLETE AND WITHHELD FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will advance to the interview phase of the selection process, which may include a writing and/or work sample exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
*Do you have a Bachelor's Degree or higher in a related field from an accredited college or university? If yes, what is the degree, major and educational institution? If no, how many college semester units have you completed and the coursework?
* Describe your experience developing, maintaining, and working with spreadsheets and databases.
* Describe your experience tracking and analyzing budgets.
* Describe your work experience with budget and policy issues.
* Describe your work experience dealing with the public on projects for which you were responsible.
* Describe your experience reaching solutions to complex issues when the solution was not clear.
If you have questions about the duties of this position, please contact Lisa Estrada at (408) 535-8262 or via email at email@example.com.
Employees in this classification are represented by Confidential Employee's Organization (CEO), AFSCME, Local No. 101.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. If you do not receive the confirmation, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.