The City of San José invites applicants for the position of Analyst I/II in the Airport Finance and Administration Division's Budget team. The incumbent will support the development, management and administration of the Airport's Annual Operating Budget and Airport Activity Report. The Analyst is responsible for gathering and analyzing information and data from a variety of individuals and data sources, conducting research and producing timely, accurate written reports of activity, fiscal and budget data.
The Analyst will serve to develop and disseminate information on activities and projects that impact the entire Airport. The ideal candidate will have strong analytic, administrative and communication skills. Extensive experience with Excel spreadsheets and/or database applications and excellent report writing skills are important. Knowledge of PeopleSoft, FMS, special fund budgeting are all highly desirable. Good interpersonal skills in dealing with coworkers and management are essential.
This position performs professional level administrative work. Some of the duties of the position may include:
- Preparation and monitoring of the Department Operating Budget
- Provide support, data collection, monitoring and regular analysis of the Airport's budget reports, surveys and process
- Oversight of expenditures, reporting and ensuring communication takes place on an ongoing and reliable basis
- Prepare monthly and annual airport activity information, ongoing statistical analysis of tenant/airline business trends, and assist in the ongoing development and reporting of air service and activity statistical analysis
- This position serves as a liaison for coordination of budget and financial information between various stakeholders, including: the City's Budget Office, as well as the Airport Capital Budget Team and the Airport's division budget liaisons
- Other administrative and special projects as assigned
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: A Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college or university.
2. Experience: Analyst I: None. Analyst II: Two years of increasingly responsible professional
staff analytic or administrative experience at the level of Analyst I with the City of San Jose.
3. Acceptable Substitutions: Experience as a Staff Technician or Staff Specialist with the City of
San Jose may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis.
4. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their
eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare
or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor. The Airport position
requires a background check and a TSA Security check. The candidate must be fingerprinted
and qualify under all applicable TSA and Airport regulations.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and department procedures/policies; applies technical and procedural know-how to get the job done; knowledge of City of San Jose Budget Process
Accountability - manages performance to achieve expected results; strong work ethic
Analytical Thinking - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, collects and analyzes data, uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations; ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative; ability to perform analytical work of considerable difficulty
Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in an effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form; information presented is accurate, complete, and current
Collaboration - develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
Computer Skills - experience with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Access and Excel; knowledge of FMS, PeopleSoft, Prop Works, Jasper Report Writing and other database experience; high level of experience in using Excel
Multi-tasking - can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s)
Problem Solving - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of the problems; collects data, distinguishing between relevant and irrelevant data; makes inferences about the meaning of the data; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application/resume information and answers to the job-specific questions. YOU MUST ANSWER ALL JOB-SPECIFIC QUESTIONS AND COMPLETE THE EDUCATION/WORK HISTORY SECTION OF THE APPLICATION IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS VACANCY OR YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE DEEMED INCOMPLETE AND WITHHELD FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will advance to the interview phase of the selection process, which may include a writing and/or work sample exercise.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
1. Do you have any particular skills and abilities that you believe would make you a successful member of the Airport Department as it relates to this position? If yes, please describe those skills and abilities.
2. Do you have experience tracking and analyzing budgets? If yes, please describe your experience and be specific about your particular role.
3. Do you have experience developing, maintaining and working with spreadsheets and databases. If yes, please describe your work product and discuss how your material was produced and used in decision making.
4. Do you have experience prioritizing and completing multiple tasks, meeting deadlines, and recommending solutions to complex issues? If yes, please describe your experience.
If you have questions about the duties of this position, please contact Kit Kwan at (408) 392-3605 or via email at email@example.com.
Employees in this classification are represented by Confidential Employee's Organization (CEO), AFSCME, Local No. 101.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. If you do not receive the confirmation, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.