AIR Worldwide (AIR), a member of the Verisk Insurance Solutions group at Verisk Analytics, is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987 and today models the risk from natural catastrophes, terrorism, and infectious disease in over 90 countries. AIR offers the opportunity to work with advanced technologies, global clients, and hundreds of the most innovative, talented minds in the industry.
This position is in the infectious disease modeling team within the Research and Modeling department. The team has developed techniques for modeling risk from catastrophic pandemics using a global metapopulation SEIR model that explicitly accounts for population movement and epidemiologic disease spread. This position will allow for expansion of the team’s existing capabilities and provide support for the team’s increasing set of responsibilities.
- Develop and enhance excess morbidity, mortality, and longevity risk models
- Manage the collection and analysis of data, in particular morbidity- and mortality-related data sets to assess frequency and severity of events
- Research scientific literature for application to model development
- Implement models translating risk into monetary insurance loss
- Perform validation and verification analysis of implemented model solutions
Experience, Knowledge, & Abilities
- Ability to gather, understand, and critically analyze data from all relevant sources of information, especially morbidity/mortality data and vital statistics
- Solid technical programming skills (e.g. C, C++, C#, FORTRAN, Python,etc.)
- Familiarity with manipulating large data sets, SQL experience a plus
- Knowledge in statistics, familiarity with statistical packages such as R a plus
- Highly motivated and self-directed with track record of innovation and demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects
- Demonstrated ability to learn new concepts and skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Risk modeling experience, GIS skills, and/or insurance industry knowledge a plus
- MPH/MSPH/MS in public health, natural science, or engineering or BS with related experience
- Background in epidemiology, biology, or biostatistics a plus
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other classification protected by Federal, state, or local law.
All insurance coverage is based upon calculated risk -- but who's doing the calculating? Insurance Services is one source for such...