Operational Risk Management is a comprehensive and integrated program designed to identify measure, assess, report, monitor and control operational risk exposures facing American Express. It supports business processes while meeting all relevant regulatory and legal requirements.
A collaborative partnership between a centralized Operational Risk Management Group and Lead Operational Risk Officer enables the efficient and effective operational risk controls supported by the Company’s Operational Risk Framework.
This framework consists of several core components, grouped into pillars, including governance, risk assessment, business and environmental internal control factors, and reporting and monitoring.
The main areas of responsibility for the Analyst, Business Unit (BU) Operational Risk Management are to support the overall implementation and governance of the operational risk framework within their respective business area. This position supports our Consumer Card, Small Business Card and Consumer Travel unit’s operational risk champion in guiding the operational risk related behaviors and actions of peers within the business unit.
Among the specific responsibilities, this role will:
- Support the business in execution of the company’s operational risk framework, ensuring compliance with the requirements of the Enterprise-wide Operational Risk Policy and related guidance.
* Provide support and oversight for the documentation and analysis of operational risk events; assist in preparing materials to support the escalation of events to business leaders and the company’s Operational Risk Management Committee, as appropriate.
* Maintain business level procedural documents to support the implementation of the operational risk framework.
* Support risk assessments of business processes using the company’s standard methodologies; mitigate identified control weaknesses through the creation of appropriate action plans
- Support the operational risk assessment activities associated with the implementation or launch new business practices, products or services, in accordance with the company’s New Product Approval policy and related guidance.
- 1 - 2 years experience in an internal control group, preferably within the banking or financial services industries.
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills, particularly in creating custom reporting and data charting.
- Strong interpersonal skills / ability to develop relationships with colleagues with central operational risk group and across multiple business functions.
- Strong team player, and self-motivation with the ability to handle multiple workstreams and ad-hoc tasks simultaneously.
- Experience compiling information and developing thoughtful material for presentation.
- Strong communication skills and ability to convey clear insight.
- BA or BS degree.
- Ability to travel.
Primary Location: US-New York-New York
We’re a company of inclusion—built on service, secured by trust and driven by forward thinking. For more than 160 years,...