"Where Creating the Best Hope for a Healthier Future Begins"
Under the medical direction and supervision of an anesthesiologist, the Anesthesiologist Assistant (AA) administers prescribed anesthesia to surgery patients, and gathers comprehensive patient data to assist in the preparation of patients' anesthetic plan.
Additional Summary Specific to Job
This position will work all general/CV cases and occasionally some pediatric cases. Primary work hours are 7 am - 4 pm with possible overtime depending on the case. Call coverage is required as well as some weekends as part of a rotation.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Under the direction and supervision of an anesthesiologist, the Anesthesia Assistant administers the prescribed anesthetic to patients in order to desensitize them to permit the performance of medical or surgical procedures.
- Obtains an extensive pre-anesthetic patient health history and performs pre-anesthetic physical examinations. After consultation with the anesthesiologist, the AA may order pre-op evaluations and pre-medications.
- Establish multi-parameter monitoring prior to anesthesia or in other acute care settings. Modalities include, but are not limited to, ASA Standard Monitors, arterial and venous catheters; may manipulate and interpret data from central venous, pulmonary artery, intracranial catheters and other monitors or devices.
- Performs initial CPR/ACLS in emergency situations until the supervising anesthesiologist is summoned.
- Utilizes advanced treatment modalities to effect Section 6, including but not limited to advanced airway interventions and intubation of the trachea; starting and adjusting doses of vascoactive infusions; administering vasoactive and anesthetic drugs; administering blood; and any other treatment modalities prescribed by the supervising anesthesiologist.
- Assists in the post-operative care of patients by managing post-op ventilator support and acute pain management in conjunction with existing protocols or the supervising anesthesiologist.
- May engage in teaching and research functions as deemed appropriate by the supervising anesthesiologist.
National Commission for Certification of Anesthesia Assistants (NCCAA) certification.
Bachelor's degree and successful completion of an accredited Anesthesia Assistant program with ongoing recertification as required.
At least one year of experience preferred.
Located in the prestigious Texas Medical Center, UTHealth is the most comprehensive academic health science institution in the Southwestern...