Skip to Main Content
Current Career Opportunities
Animal Care Technician - Animal Shelter/Adoption Center
Wed. 03/13/13 4:30 PM Mountain Time
Print Job Information |
The Animal Shelter is looking for an Animal Care Technician that is highly motivated, polite and an outgoing individual with a professional demeanor to perform a variety of duties involved in maintaining the cleanliness of the kennel and providing care for the Shelter animals.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties:
• Represent Adams County Animal Shelter in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
• Provide food and water to shelter animals daily.
• Maintain and clean kennel.
• Adheres to effective disease control practices.
• Perform Animal intake, including vaccinations, deworming, taking pictures and accurately recording information into the animal shelter operating system (Chameleon).
• Informs patron of adoption policies and animal availability.
• Performs reception/front office duties and responsibilities on a rotating basis.
• Administers medication to animals, both orally and/or topically.
• Perform laundry duties.
• Trains and work with volunteers in a cooperative manner.
• Assist in evaluating animal behavior and report health or behavior abnormalities to supervisor.
• Assist in the adoption or reclaiming of animals.
• Participate in animal enrichment efforts and stress reduction efforts through purposeful handing of animals.
• Perform euthanasia on a rotating basis.
• Perform special projects as assigned.
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
• No supervisory responsibilities are exercised.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities to:
• Knowledge of or the ability to learn general principles of animal care.
• Knowledge of or the ability to learn methods and procedures of kennel cleaning and maintenance.
• Operate cleaning equipment and other tools used in maintenance of kennel.
• Knowledge of or the ability to learn using syringes, incinerators, and other tools for inoculation and euthanization.
• Knowledge of or the ability to impound, inoculate, and euthanize animals.
• Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
• Read, write, and follow oral and written instructions.
• Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
Computer skills: Basic computer skills. Knowledge of Chameleon operating system preferred.
• Experience: Previous animal handling experience of at least 6 months. Demonstrated customer service and organizational skills. Preference for individuals that have a working knowledge of animal welfare issues.
• Education: At least a High School Diploma or GED. Preferences: candidate with Veterinary assistant or Veterinary Technician training and/or Dog Training experience.
• License or Certificate: Certified Veterinary Technician preferred. Must be certified in Humane Euthanasia within 30 days of starting this position. Possession of or ability to obtain a valid Colorado driver's license.
• Must be able to treat animals humanely and with respect.
• Allergies to animals must be controlled through medication.
Essential duties require the following physical abilities and work environment:
• Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Exposure to weather and temperature swings, noise, chemicals, vicious animals, and disease is to be expected.
Current Career Opportunities
4430 South Adams County Parkway | Brighton, Colorado 80601 | 303.659.2120 | 800.824.7842