As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT), systems engineering, professional services and simulation and training to customers in the defense, federal civilian government, health, homeland security, intelligence, state and local government and commercial sectors. With approximately 24,000 professionals worldwide, the company delivers IT enterprise solutions, manages large-scale, mission-critical IT programs and provides mission support services. General Dynamics Information Technology is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer.
The Nationwide Automatic Identification System (NAIS) provides a means to receive, distribute, and use the information transmitted by vessels that operate AIS equipment. This multi-year, multi-phased project supports Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) over the nation's territorial waters and adjacent seas and is being implemented in three Increments to provide a progressive expansion of NAIS operational capabilities and data capture: Increment I: Receive only in strategic ports and coast/near-coastal areas; Increment II: Coastal transmit and receive nationwide; and Increment III: Long range receive nationwide.
Provides high level expertise in developing complex software applications involving new technologies, methods, concepts, or approaches. Designs software tools and subsystems to support software reuse and domain analyses and manages their implementation. Manages software development and support using formal specifications, data flow diagrams, other accepted design techniques and Computer-Aided Software Engineering (CASE) tools. Based on functional and conceptual design specifications, develops diagrammatic plans and design logic required to implement computer programs, ADP systems and procedures in support of technical, administrative and information management functions and operations. Reviews existing programs and assists in making refinements, reducing operating time and improving current techniques. Formulates and defines specifications for software applications or modifies and maintains existing applications using engineering releases and utilities from the manufacturer. Responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging and documentation. Evaluates new and existing software products for implementation. Often serves as technical lead, coordinating the efforts of cross-functional technical personnel. Provides detailed instructions and program design specification to peers and junior personnel assigned to a project team, and closely supervise their performance.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work/military experience.
- Provide project status updates describing the state of assigned deliverables, accomplishments, and significant risk items.
- Estimate work duration and detailed tasks for input to project schedules.
- Work closely with System Support Personnel and other Application Engineers, DBAs, OSC Support Groups, and members of the user and broader technical communities to accomplish project objectives.
- Reverse engineer third party applications.
- Refactor existing code and resolve bug fixes.
- Participate and contribute in project meetings.
- Ensure work meets functionality and quality expectations within given timelines
- Develop design and technical documentation
- Present solutions, demos and system functionality to business and technical users
- Support application testing and deployment
8-10 years of related software development experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Beneficial Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of programming/scripting languages: Java, C#, C++, Python, and Perl.
- Strong knowledge of Eclipse and Visual Studio
- Ability to interact with users to derive and clarify requirements, understand business requirements and translate requirements into technical design
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Ability to learn quickly in a dynamic environment
- Ability to take ownership of projects and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Must have a good understanding of software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Good time management and customer service skills
This position requires applicants to successfully complete the security application process with the intent of gaining a government granted security clearance AND receive a minimum Interim clearance, prior to starting.
- ICAN DataSwitch/DataStore/Maestro experience
- Hyperic experience
- Knowledge of message oriented middleware, message queuing, JMS and Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) technology
- Relational databases including Oracle and Sybase
- Experience writing or maintaining web applications and Windows Services and *nix Daemons
Security Clearance Level
Security Clearance Basis
Security Clearance Polygraph
Job ID Number
Potential for Deployment
As a trusted systems integrator for more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology provides information technology (IT),...