The Opportunity: Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) seeks a professional, innovative and detailed individual for our Application Engineer - Automation position to provide technical support to the northeast region of the U.S. from King of Prussia, PA. If you are looking for an opportunity to apply industry-leading technology to solve power system integration and automation challenges and become recognized as an industry expert in a fast growing global company, then this position is for you!
The AE-A position will be located in our field office in King of Prussia, in Pennsylvania. The engineer will provide technical support to customers applying SEL integration, automation, and cybersecurity solutions in electric utility and industrial markets. Occasional travel may be required to areas outside the northeast region, including the corporate office located in Pullman, Washington, and throughout the U.S. for teaching and conferences.
Application Engineer - Automation
- Assist Application Engineers in Protection sector, sales representatives and strategic customers in applying SEL integration and application products through telephone contact, visits, trade show demonstrations and application literature.
- Train Application Engineers, sales representatives and strategic customers on SEL integration and application products and applications.
- Contribute to integration and application product specifications and application literature.
- Perform special studies and tests as needed by customers.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all SEL products and a perspective of industry practice.
- Participate in SEL sales and marketing activities and industry technical meetings and conferences.
- Follow and improve Application Engineering area processes.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering
- Over 3 years working knowledge of SCADA practices and philosophies
- Excellent technical training, speaking and writing skills
- Working knowledge of protective relay applications at utilities or engineering firms
- Knowledgeable in communications protocol applications such as DNP 3.0 and Modbus
- Willing to travel 35% regionally
- Ability to learn new skills and assume new responsibilities
- Ability to work cooperatively in team environment
To Apply For This Position: We ask all candidates to submit their resume through our website at www.selinc.com/applynow. If your qualifications and experience match any of our current openings, please submit your resume for that position so that you may be considered immediately.
- Familiarity with SEL IEDs
- Knowledge of industrial controls and PLCs, 3 phase power systems
- Knowledge of protocols and communications with RTUs, PLCs, or IEDs
- Experience implementing human machine interfaces
SEL sends an initial e-mail response to all applicants at time of resume submittal. If you do not receive this communication, please check your SPAM filter and make sure your system is not blocking e-mails from SEL. It is important that you ensure your receipt of this e-mail as SEL may communicate future position updates via e-mail.
SEL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
An Award Winning Company Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, Inc. (SEL) has earned a reputation for quality, reliability, integrity, and service. This has enabled us to expand within both the electric utility and industrial markets to include international customers and OEM markets.
In 2012, SEL earned a spot on the FORTUNE Magazine 100 Best Companies to Work For list. This prestigious ranking celebrates the SEL 100% employee-owned culture as one of the best in the country. SEL has received numerous awards, including the Puget Sound Business Journal’s 100 Fastest-Growing Private Companies in Washington State (1999 through 2003, 2010, and 2011), Inc. Magazine’s 500|5000 Fastest Growing Private Companies (1990, 1991, 2008, 2010, and 2011), the Association of Washington Businesses (AWB) Manufacturing, Workplace, and Community Service Award (1998 through 2010), the Washington State Quality Achievement Award (WSQA), and the Washington Secretary of State Corporations for Communities Award (2010). Puget Sound Business Journal has also ranked SEL as one of Washington State’s Top 100 Largest Private Companies every year since 2007.
In an independent survey conducted by Newton-Evans Research Company, SEL ranks first in all performance categories including: technology, features, security against hackers, web/internet information ability, technical service and support, maintenance cost, relay setting PC software, and price. Since 2006, SEL has also held the elite VPP STAR status certification from Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. Less than 2,000 companies in the U.S. earn the VPP STAR status for outstanding safety and health programs.
Apply Your Talent. Make a Difference. Enjoy the Rewards. Are you ready to be part of a highly motivated and well-equipped team? Are you a quick learner who likes new challenges? If so, then you are ready to join us at Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories.
Dr. Edmund O. Schweitzer III delivered the first commercial digital protective relay in 1984. Under his technical, managerial, and fiscal leadership, Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories has expanded to become a leader in the power industry, employing over 3,700 people world-wide. Dr. Schweitzer understands and supports the need for investing in employees. In return, he expects that we hire only the best, most highly motivated team members, and that we deliver simple, reliable, and cost-effective products and solutions.
Our products and solutions must be simple and reliable because they protect the largest, most complicated machine on earth: the electric power grid. Blackouts in the U.S. and Canada remind us that reliable electric power is crucial to our society. SEL provides systems, services, and products for the protection, monitoring, control, automation, and metering of utility and industrial electric systems worldwide.
Our company and our products exist to make electric power safer, more reliable, and more economical. That purpose has made SEL very successful, and the company is managed with sound fiscal judgment and that purpose in mind. Profits are reinvested to fuel the company’s growth.
In addition to offering a variety of challenges in a supportive, stable environment, SEL shares its success with employees by giving them stock in the company. All employees earn stock at the same rate. And because only employees can own SEL stock, the stock price is not subject to market volatility. Even when the stock market value has plunged, SEL stock consistently increased in value.
Employee Testimonial Video: SEL employees describe the opportunity and rewards of a career working at a 100% employee owned company! www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMyhbe7Hklo
Benefits: SEL has an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, and vision for all regular full-time employees and their entire family; long-term disability and life insurance; education assistance programs; a very generous employee stock ownership plan; 401K; flexible benefit account; and an outstanding work environment.
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) designs, manufactures, and supports a full line of products that keep electric power systems...