Aquatics Department Head - In Training-SUG00965
The Aquatics Department Head is responsible for the Aquatics Department and upholding Life Time's Mission and Vision Statements through the Healthy Way of Life Principles. The Department Head will deliver the highest level of customer service, management, and consistency to both Members and Team Members. The Aquatics Department Head and Aquatics Team Members will ensure the best department appearance with a focus on safety to achieve the best member experiences.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
1. Ensures Aquatics Team Members provide a safe and friendly environment for the Members.
2. Sets the standard for the Aquatics Department by providing exceptional customer service and meeting the Members' needs and expectations.
3. Responds to Member inquiries regarding Life Time Fitness programs, products, services, policies, and procedures in a professional and timely manner.
4. Ensures the teaching of new skills in a fun, enthusiastic environment where participants learn through a range of high quality programs that appeal to an expanded customer base.
5. Plans, offers and registers Members for group and private swim lessons and programming.
6. Provides a safe, clean, and organized aquatics area for members.
7. Connects members to the correct program that fits their area of passion.
1. Markets and promotes aquatics programs and activities in the club to increase participation.
Sales & Promotional
1. Promotes Life Time Fitness swim classes and makes appropriate class level recommendations.
2. Ensures Team Members understand and promote all Life Time Fitness aquatics programs.
3. Promotes all Life Time Fitness programs, products, and services.
4. Markets and promotes aquatics programs and activities in the club to increase participation.
Financial & Budgetary
1. Purchases department supplies.
2. Manages the aquatics department within budgetary guidelines daily.
3. Processes all swim lesson revenue and refunds daily.
4. Makes recommendations regarding the annual department budget to the General Manager, Regional Support Lead and National Program Manager.
5. Calculates revenue for aquatics programs
6. Monitors Profit and Loss statements
7. Formulates, monitors and reconciles the budget and financial reports.
Managerial & Supervisory
1. Manages and supports all Aquatics Team Members.
2. Ensures all certifications and LTU classes are current in the department.
3. Completes and documents daily inspections to ensure pool area cleanliness and safety.
4. Balances pool chemicals to meet mandated levels/standards.
5. Submits incident reports in a timely matter.
6. Facilitates lifeguard training on pool safety and rescue techniques during monthly in-services.
7. Maintains the Systems Binder on a daily basis.
8. Completes new hire paperwork, payroll, and scheduling in a timely manner.
9. Trains team members through shadowing team members, orientation, direction and feedback.
10. Tracks all pay scale statistics.
1 1. Ensures participant and instructor evaluations are completed and documented monthly.
1 2. Assesses individual performance, provides feedback, and coaches Aquatics Team Members accordingly.
1 3. Makes hiring, promotion, disciplinary, and termination recommendations to the General Manager.
1 4. Organizes, communicates, promotes, administers, and supervises the department and swim programming.
1 5. Facilitates swim lesson in-services monthly or quarterly in-services.
Responsibilities of All Positions
- Supports and articulates the Life Time Fitness mission statement
- Adheres to company policies and procedures
- Ensures cleanliness of the club using all 5 senses:
- Sight to ensure club is neat and orderly
- Sound to ensure music levels are appropriate
- Touch to ensure floors, countertops, etc are clean and dry
- Taste to ensure the food & beverages in the café are up-to-standards
- Smell to ensure the club is fresh and odor free
- Demonstrates positive attitude and actions through a display of courtesy, service, cooperation, hospitality, sensitivity, and professionalism to internal and external customers.
Safety responsibilities include:
- Complies with all company safety rules.
- Uses all required safety devices and personal protection equipment.
- Reports accidents and injuries to supervisor as soon as possible.
- Participates in safety training and safety inspections.
- Suggests methods of preventing hazards to safety committee.
- 4 year College degree (or in the final semesters of the degree)
Licenses / Certifications / Registrations:
- Two years of customer service experience
- Two years coaching and/or swim instructor experience
- Two years lifeguarding experience
- Two years of supervisory/management experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics
- Red Cross Lifeguard and First Aid - Red Cross CPR-PR/AED- NSPF Certified Pool Operator (CPO) (Preferred)- Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) (Preferred)- Lifeguard Instructor Trainer (LGIT) (Preferred)- Successfully complete and pass the U Swim School Certification- Successfully complete and pass Aquatics Department Head Certification
- Ability to swim and extensive knowledge of swim programs
- Ability to effectively build teams
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of pool pump room operations
- Ability to multi-task, make decisions easily and quickly
- Ability to operate a personal computer
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Ability to resolve conflicts in a professional, tactful manner
- Ability to build relationships with members
- Comfortable working with all age groups, including children
- Strong problem solving skills
Intermediate- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers, clients, and other employees of the organization in English.
Intermediate- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply basic concepts of algebra and geometry.
Advanced Skills- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Microsoft Outlook. Also must have the ability to learn new computer programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; ability to climb ladders. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work is performed in an athletic club environment. The noise level is usually moderate to high.
Primary Location: : TX-Sugar Land - SUG - Sugar Land
Job Level: Manager with Direct Reports
Life Time Fitness - 10 months ago
Life Time Fitness, Inc. operates multi-use sports and athletic, professional fitness, family recreation and resort and spa centers under the...