Job Title: |
Architect/CAD Drafter II
Area of Interest:
Carnival Cruise Lines (“CCL”) is a branded division within Carnival Corporation, a publicly traded company founded in 1972 and headquartered in Miami. Carnival Corporation has over 90,000 employees worldwide operating 100 ships and produces over $15 billion in revenues. At any given time, there are over 270,000 people cruising with Carnival. Carnival Corporation owns a number of different cruise lines and has become the largest corporation in the cruise industry. Carnival’s portfolio of 10 leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises and Cunard Line in the United Kingdom; AIDA in Germany; Costa Cruises in southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain, and P&O Cruises in Australia.
The primary focus of the position is to assist with all aspects of architecture design for the CCL fleet, with regard to area refurbishments, new building projects, and physical/functional improvements. The position requirements include the following duties and responsibilities. However, this list is not exhaustive.
• Develop numerous large-scale, marine design projects simultaneously, under the direction of the Senior Designer/Architect or Director. Propose design solutions according to business sponsor’s desired objectives, goals, and budget.
• Apply sound knowledge of architecture principles and practices in a broad array of assignments and projects.
• Act independently regarding architectural methods and complexities, utilizing advanced design techniques to overcome project challenges.
• Consult with Senior Designer/Architect or Director for technical guidance on unusual or complex issues.
• Present proposed project plans to assigned manager for approval.
• Produce drawings, floor plans, elevations, details sections, ceiling plans, and area specifications for various design projects.
• Propose FF&E solutions to Senior Designer, Director, and executive audiences, if needed; strong product and vendor knowledge required.
• Work alongside other architects/interior designers to foster creativity, assist with project workload, and enhance design quality.
• Make recommendations to improve the maintainability of the interior design elements on the ships. Conduct product research and propose design standards to increase life-cycle cost effectiveness.
• Create project specifications and drawing packages utilizing CCL defined formatting guidelines.
• Approve contractor specified substitute materials and shop drawings to ensure design integrity is maintained.
• Review recently completed projects. Compare finished results to design specifications and renderings. Work with the Director of Quality to create a work list for items needing rework.
• Assist Project Managers and design team with developing presentations, visuals, and supplemental materials for contractors and business sponsors.
• Prepare and deliver impactful design presentations to the Executive Team, when required. Maintain a composed and professional demeanor to build relationships with internal customers.
• Convene, when necessary, with outside consultants, such as: marine architects, interior design firms, and outfitting contractors to outline and communicate the company’s interior design needs and requirements with regard to aesthetics, functionality, and durability.
• Assist the Project Coordinator with organizing a standard archive of information for the ships’ interior design items; ensure all drawings and specifications are updated accordingly..
• Attend relevant industry trade shows and educational seminars to stay abreast of ever-changing regulations, new technology, and innovations.
• Travel will be required for ship visits, surveys, dry docks, and new building projects. Total travel time estimated at 10%.
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture. Previous experience in marine design is preferred.
• 5-7+ years of commercial or marine design experience required.
• Impressive portfolio of previous projects and clientele
• Experience designing large, public spaces, preferably for marine environments.
• Exceptional AutoCAD skills required. Good 3D hand sketching skills needed.
Carnival is "The World's Most Popular Cruise Line®", with 23 ships operating three to 17 day voyages to The Bahamas,...