Join the nation's premier human relations/civil rights organization.
We have a mission to fight anti-Semitism and hate,
and to secure justice and fair treatment for all.
ADL is looking for talented, passionate people who want
to make a difference today…and tomorrow!
ARCHIVIST, CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION
Manage, acquire, preserve and make accessible to users documents and other materials that have historical importance for the Anti-Defamation League, with attention to digital initiatives. Lead long-term planning for ADL's archival collection.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create a strategic plan for the ADL Archives, setting forth long-term goals and short-term initiatives.
- Identify and evaluate records for preservation and retention, especially those items with research value and/or long-term historical importance.
- Establish filing rules and procedures for submission, indexing and retrieval of documents, in accord with best professional practices (including maintaining, expanding and improving the archives database).
- Plan and implement digital projects for efficient management of key parts of the archives.
- Recommend and implement preservation and reclamation techniques for fragile materials.
- Oversee distribution, consolidation and elimination of archived materials in warehouse.
- Select, liaise with and evaluate the performance of warehouse, archival materials suppliers and other vendors, as dictated by daily archival activities and long-term planning needs.
- Recruit, train and supervise archive interns and volunteers, including quality control for work completed.
- Set and implement archiving guidelines and train ADL regional and national staff on sending materials to be archived.
- Conduct and respond to research requests requiring the use of archival materials.
- Write finding aids for collections of special significance.
- With the ADL General Counsel, create and maintain retention schedules for differing document classes, researching retention periods if necessary.
- Collaborate with the Information Technology Department in areas where records management and archives management overlap.
- Use judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential information and apply professional codes of ethics.
For immediate consideration, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Archivist Civil Rights Division.
ADL offers a very generous benefits/vacation package. EOE.
Learn more about ADL at www.adl.org.
Society of American Archivists
- 3 years ago - save job
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is a not-for-profit foundation dedicated to combating anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry. Among its...