The Area Business Manager (ABM) calls on Health Care Professionals (Physicians, Nurses, Physical Therapists, Pharmacists, etc.) involved in the treatment of neurologic diseases. Customers primarily include Neurologists and Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialists and their staff. The ABM is responsible for all aspects of sales, market development and strategic business planning and implementation for Acorda's promoted products in the assigned territory. This individual works interdependently with Account Management, Marketing, and other members within Sales as appropriate to assure the pull-through strategies and tactics will achieve the desired sales results. PLEASE REFER TO JOB CODE 0213 WHEN APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned::
The ABM role is broken out into four key ‘role' areas: Consultative Selling, Tactical Execution, Territory Management and Business Planning. A description of the responsibilities is included under each of the roles. Please note that the Core Competencies and Key Behaviors for the ABM position are provided under a separate attachment.
CONSULTATIVE SELLING: The ABM provides information about Acorda products directly to existing and potential customers in order to drive sales results.
• Leverages a deep understanding of each customer's environment to actively engage them with the intention of gaining commitment to utilize Acorda products.
• Effectively utilizes the ACE selling model to influence prescribing behavior and achieve a consistently high level of performance.
TACTICAL EXECUTION: The ABM executes the strategies and tactics delivered in the National, Area and Regional POAs and identified in the Business Planning process.
• Meets and exceeds annual sales goals that contribute to the overall company objectives while acting in complete and total compliance with laws, regulations and policies.
TERRITORY MANAGEMENT: The ABM develops a strategic business plan to outperform competitors within their territories aimed at achieving the desired sales results.
• Identifies and allocates appropriate resources; tracks results against the plan over time, and adjusts priorities and resources as customers and markets change during the performance period.
BUSINESS PLANNING: The ABM receives a National and Regional POA, but they must adapt and prioritize elements of the Plan of Action to their territory optimizing the use of Acorda resources in their business planning processes.
• Understands and has an intimate knowledge of the customer and market influences within their territory
• Develops specific plans of action to leverage this understanding as necessary to drive sales results.
Education and/or Experience::
A Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. A minimum of six to eight years of sales and/or training experience in Specialty Biotechnology / Pharmaceuticals required. Proven and consistent sales track record as a high performer.
• Strong Clinical selling skills and strong level of business acumen
• Ability to establish, develop and maintain high quality relationships with Customer base
• Excellent verbal / presentation communication skills
• Strong interpersonal, influencing leadership skills
• Strong in-depth knowledge of Specialty Biotech / Pharma working in managed care environment
• Strong analytical skills with attention to fiscal management
Supervisory Responsibilities: :
Computer Skills: :
Proficient in MS Office
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: :
A valid and current driver's license and current auto insurance are required.
The physical demands here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The Area Business Manager is required to travel extensively; the average travel for this position is 40-50% with some variation based upon the demands of the business imperatives. This individual must be able to sit for long periods of time while traveling to and from appointments, and while waiting to see physicians. Occasional travel to sales meetings and corporate headquarters is also required.
The Area Business Manager must be able to transport materials and samples weighing up to 20 pounds. This individual must be able to navigate through medical buildings and physicians offices.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
No specific work demands.
*To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.