Posting Job Title: Assignment Manager - NY1 News
Requisition #: 141038BR
Posting Location: New York, NY, US
Area of Interest: Cable Television Production
Position Type: Full Time
Posting Job Description
ASSIGNMENT MANAGER - NY1 News
Responsible for managing the daily operations of the Assignment Desk. Makes editorial and staffing decisions to facilitate coverage of news stories. Hires and manages assignment desk staff including Assignment and Planning Editors, Researchers and News Assistants. Works in tandem with other news managers to allocate resources.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages the newsgathering process including determining what stories should be covered and assigning crews
- Makes key decisions on breaking news stories and how to cover them
- Directs staff to maintain quality and ethical standards
- Is available to staff as needed in a 24/7 news environment
- Acts as liaison between the Assignment Desk and other departments
- Determines the elements needed to create quality news programming and helps reporters and producers develop stories
- Keeps informed on legal issues as they relate to news coverage and employment law
- Maintains contacts with outside agencies and other sources regarding developing news items and possible stories
- Leads daily editorial meetings, reviewing daily coverage plans
- Plans coverage of upcoming news events including determining staffing needs
- Updates Planning Grid with information on developing stories
- Makes decisions on hiring, promoting, assigning and disciplining staff members, freelancers and interns
- Effectively utilizes, trains, develops, mentors and evaluates staff
- Provides input on staff for formal performance reviews, disciplinary action and termination
- Conducts yearly performance appraisals as well as probationary evaluations for direct reports
- Monitors staff on performance improvement plans
- Resolves interpersonal issues and conflicts
- Helps staff to understand the mission of the station and the importance of coordination with other units and stations
- Communicates and ensures the achievement of short and long term goals
- Provides a motivating environment for staff
- Acts as a role model for staff by maintaining ethical, professional and legal standards
- Authorizes staff overtime and approves other news coverage-related expenses as needed
- Monitors overtime and freelance work hours of direct reports
Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
Education: Bachelor's Degree required
Experience: Minimum five years experience working on an Assignment Desk required, preferably in NYC. Supervisory experience a plus.
Only applicants who apply online at www.timewarnercable.com/careers will be considered.
Time Warner Cable supports a drug-free environment and is EOE M/F/V/D.
FCC Unit_TWC: NWNYC
Controlling Establishment ID: 00112 - NYC 9th Ave
More on TWC:
Time Warner Cable - 2 years ago
Time Warner Cable (TWC) makes coaxial quiver. The company is the #2 US cable company, after Comcast, with operations in 28 states. Its core...