The Assistant Controller manages student accounts and the bookstore functions at both campuses, along with managing the A/R and billing functions including in-school collections. This position is responsible for general accounting, the monthly close process, accounts payable functions, financial reporting and analysis and review of asset & liability account balances. Other responsibilities include assisting in monthly forecasting processes and annual budgeting functions.
- Responsible for the timely preparation of monthly close process including month-end accounting entries and review monthly entries related to revenue, discounts and scholarships, cash, A/R, A/P, ensure proper expense accounting, capital additions, etc.
- Manages two campus bookstores and ensures excellent customer service, proper inventory levels (ensure all books are in for all classes 2-3 weeks prior to the starts and return inventory overstocks), accurate physical inventory counts, and daily accurate posting of all student purchases and payments.
- Reviews and monitors daily cash deposits and reconciliations of POS to CampusVue.
- Monitors student account activities including invoicing and collection of all corporate, voc rehab, embassy and non centralized invoicing, posting and reconciliation of tuition and fees, and out-of-school collection activities.
- Reviews all balance sheet accounts including bank reconciliations in conjunction with the Centralized Accounting Group (CAG)
- Assists in preparing monthly financial statements and close analysis.
- Assists in completing monthly forecasts including timely reporting and analysis.
- Assists in preparing annual budgets and tracking of variances during the year.
- Responsible for ensuring all accounting activities are SOX Compliant
- Provides analysis and recommendations on key drivers and profit improvements, completion of miscellaneous financial projects.
- Responsible for monitoring the NEAP and Tuition Assistance Programs.
- Writes effectively and creates sound policies and procedures and other written communications.
- Requires daily use of excel spreadsheets, Peoplesoft accounting programs, CampusVue and periodically learns new programs.
- Deals with a wide variety of students, peers, management and vendors with tact, courtesy and professionalism. Provide excellent customer service.
- PC proficiency and advanced Excel skills
- Experience with PeopleSoft accounting software (preferred)
- Great communication skills
- High degree of initiative with strong leadership and decision-making abilities
- Ability to encourage a teamwork environment
- Strong sense of integrity
- Extensive Knowledge of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Strong analytical skills and logical thought processes, with the ability to identify and resolve complex issues/problems
- Ability to analyze business reporting information and recommend improvements
- Ability to focus attention on details and complete projects within required deadlines
- Ability to successfully perform the required and expected duties with minimal direct supervision
- Must be able to successfully perform multiple tasks
- Ability to organize work effectively, reprioritize as new demands arise, and maintain strict confidentiality
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business strongly preferred.
- Five or more years of accounting and supervisory experience preferred.
- Comprehensive accounting background that includes all aspects of the G/L, A/P, A/R, cash management, financial reporting, analysis, forecasting, and budgeting.
Career Education Corporation (CEC) has made a career of handing out diplomas. The for-profit company owns and operates about 90 domestic and...