The Assistant Corporate Controller is primarily responsible for (1) the financial statements and the underlying accounting records of assigned entities prepared on a GAAP, cash, tax and fair market value basis of accounting; (2) the consolidation and financial reporting of entities assigned; (3) set up and maintenance of assigned entities within the accounting system; and (4) quarterly cash flow forecast of assigned entities; (5) periodic reporting of co-investment interests of senior management in various investment Funds, and (6) participation in the CTI Roll-Up Committee.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Ensure technically accurate, complete and timely financial reporting for multiple entities and/or business units including financial statements (which may be on the cash basis, GAAP historical cost basis, and/or GAAP FMV basis), loan compliance and special reporting as required.
· Prepare or review consolidated and consolidating financial statements in accordance with historical cost and fair market value accounting principles, as applicable.
· Monitor the consolidation for assigned entities, by running consolidated financial statement in the CTI system and ensuring all elimination and allocation entries are working properly.
· Thoroughly review entity level financial statements and related supporting documents to ensure that the financial statements are correct and in conformity with GAAP.
· Participate as an active member of the Roll-up Committee and ensure that as transactions occur the roll-up is adjusted properly.
· Thoroughly review rollup to ensure that all general ledger activity consolidates properly.
· Prepare or review timely monthly cash flow forecasts for assigned entities
· Prepare or review timely and accurate general ledger account reconciliations and related schedules.
· Prepare accurate and timely audit packages and financial statements in compliance with GAAP.
· Identify and research accounting issues as they arise and prepare written recommendation for appropriate accounting treatment to ensure GAAP compliance.
· Provide review to ensure 5-year cash flow projections are maintained accurately in Control system for assigned entities including corporate operating and investment cash flows, financing and investing activities
· Review monthly department and company cash forecast and variance analyses for all assigned entities.
· Review co-investment activities and provide quarterly reports to certain members of senior management who participate in various investment Funds sponsored by the Company.
· Understand and apply current technical accounting standards to ensure compliance.
· Maintain regular contact and build solid working relationships with other business units to ensure a high level of customer service as measured by manager observation and feedback from principal customers. Coordinate activities with other business units to ensure a high level of service and work products.
· May serve on one or more cross-functional committees providing guidance and appropriate department representation.
· Coordinate with outside CPA firms as directed by the Corporate Controller to ensure thorough and accurate audits. Effectively control the delivery and quality of information to outside auditors to minimize audit billings by ensuring the information provided is timely and accurate.
· Monitor loan agreement covenants and forecast the Company’s financial ratios to ensure compliance.
· Assume “ownership” of the accounting process.
· Analyze new or changing circumstances at the earliest opportunity to identify accounting impact. Appropriately communicate the impact in a timely manner, make recommendations, and follow through to be certain that identified issues are brought to closure on a timely basis.
· Promptly implement action plans to address any identified customer service issues.
· Reach out to peers to identify solutions to issues.
· Bring issues and concerns to manager’s attention on a timely basis.
· Read and understand the governing documents for assigned entities, including but not limited to, operating agreements, management agreements, loan documents, and purchase and sale agreements.
· Ensure that accounting activities comply with all applicable laws and regulations, corporate policies and guidelines, accepted accounting standards and the governing agreements.
· Actively participate in any departmental training and education programs. Seek out opportunities to contribute to the success of the program by identifying areas where training is needed and assisting in developing appropriate training programs.
· Promptly respond to requests for information from other departments within the company and follow through to ensure resolution.
· Participate in or lead special projects as opportunities arise. Take ownership of project or assigned deliverables and follow through to completion within established timeframes.
· Demonstrate an understanding of system capabilities and limitations and proficiency in its use.
· Serve as a resource for other department members in areas of his or her expertise.
· Perform duties outlined in Attachment A as needed.
Non-Essential Duties & Responsibilities : None
Location/Position Specific Duties & Responsibilities : None
Supervisory Responsibilities : Manages exempt staff
· Demonstrate effective management, leadership, coaching and development of staff to achieve company and department goals and objectives including but not limited to:
o Ensure annual goals and objectives are established for all staff within designated timeframes.
o Ensure job responsibilities and expectations are clearly defined and communicated, work is assigned and distributed appropriately, staff is appropriately trained, and performance issues are addressed in a timely manner.
o Conduct regular staff meetings.
o Regularly provide formal and informal performance feedback to staff including discussions of strengths and areas for improvement.
o Complete well thought out and well-documented annual performance reviews and salary recommendations within designated timeframes.
o Demonstrate actions and communications that support the company’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Programs in all aspects of employment
· Provide excellent customer service to both external and internal customers by:
o Building positive relationships with customers
o Taking initiative to identify customer needs and provide service that meets or exceeds customer expectations
o Communicating effectively in person as well as via telephone and email.
o Resolving difficult situations through the use of effective problem-solving skills
· Ensure staff provides excellent customer service to both external and internal customers by:
o Regularly communicating with staff about the business group’s customers and their needs and expectations
o Setting and enforcing customer service standards
o Providing coaching, feedback and recognition to enhance staff members’ customer service skills
o Acting as a role model when providing customer service
Essential Skills & Qualifications :
· Thorough knowledge of issues, procedures and practices associated with commercial real estate and/or partnership accounting as evidenced by a minimum of 2 years of experience in a related function.
· Demonstrated ability to accurately and completely apply consolidation accounting with minimal supervision.
· Demonstrate sound and accurate judgment.
· Strong oral and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to read, to analyze, and interpret complex documents.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities to conclusion.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively resolve problems that balance multiple needs and interests.
· Demonstrated ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
· Demonstrated ability to respond to changing and sometimes ambiguous situations.
· Intermediate to advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and complex accounting software programs.
· Demonstrated ability to complete objectives and projects with broad managerial direction. Work is generally reviewed at the time of completion.
Non-Essential Skills & Qualifications : None
· Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) in Accounting from a four-year college or university. Master’s in Business Administration (M.B.A.) or Masters in Accounting or Finance preferred.
· Minimum 5-7 years of experience in accounting including experience with a national accounting firm and/or real estate industry experience.
· Minimum 2 years of experience with performing or reviewing consolidation of multiple legal entities.
· Flow through entity tax experience desirable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
· Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.) designation or its equivalent required.
· The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Physical demands include extended periods of sitting.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Environment :
· Work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· The employee works primarily in a large office building.
· Travel requirements vary depending upon position location. Travel may be required up to 15% of time on the job.