UALR Functional Title
Assistant Dean for Student Services / R99729
Dean-Arts, Humanities, & Social Sci
The Assistant Dean for Student Services is responsible for administering and assisting with advising within the college, serving as a liaison between faculty and the dean’s office on student issues, coordinating the efforts of student service staff, facilitating college recruitment and retention efforts, assisting students with academic complaints, reviewing and submitting AHSS graduation applications, and assisting the associate dean and the dean of the college.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess and review AHSS advising procedures.
- Meet with prospective AHSS majors.
- Communicate with faculty and staff concerning student services issues.
- Develop and implement training materials for students and faculty advisers.
- Assist with the recruitment of high achieving students.
- Contact prospective students and current at-risk students.
- Attend campus recruitment events.
- Review GAP report weekly and send out letters/emails to students.
- Supervise Student Service staff when appropriate.
- Assist new and continuing students with any questions or concerns.
- Serve as a resource for faculty and staff in AHSS departments.
- Answer inquiries from web, email, telephone, Facebook, and twitter.
- Assist students who have academic complaints.
- Provide accurate and timely review of AHSS graduation applications.
- Provide training for AHSS Ambassadors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to provide training for AHSS Ambassadors.
- Ability to work with students, staff and faculty.
- Ability to analyze and make effective use of data.
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic and demanding work environment.
- Experience with addressing the needs of difficult or upset students.
- Effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Professional orientation.
- Relevant administrative and student-service experience.
- Ability to advise and direct students
- Comfortable with diverse perspectives and orientations.
- Ability to communicate in person, electronically and in writing in a lucid and professional manner.
- Ability to work with current social media.
Required Education and/or Experience
BA degree is required.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
BA degree in one of the disciplines in the college of AHSS . MA degree preferred.
Two years of experience in student services or related field is preferred.
Background Check Requirements
01 - Criminal/Financial
Sedentary Work - Exerting 10 pounds: Frequently, Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds: Occasionally, Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds: Occasionally, Kneeling: Occasionally, Climbing (Stairs, Ladders, etc.): Frequently, Lifting 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Pushing/pulling 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Sitting for long periods of time: Frequently, Standing for long periods of time: Occasionally, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Short Distances: Frequently, Walking - Moderate Distances; Occasionally
Spends approximately 75% or more time indoors
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants