Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Hennepin County Diversity Policy
Hennepin County Public Works seeks to fill three Assistant Director positions; two within the Transportation Department and one within the Housing, Community Works, and Transit Department.
The Transportation Department administers all functions associated with the county highway system. This department develops, operates and maintains a safe and effective highway system throughout Hennepin County.
One position will be in the Operations Division and the other will be in the Project Delivery Division. The Operations Division focuses on traffic, road, and bridges operation. The Project Delivery Division focuses on transportaion planning that includes design and construction. The primary function of these positions is to perform work involving the direction and coordination of the Transportation Department.
These positions will also be involved with strategic planning including tactical planning assistance to division managers within the department and logistical planning within divisions on an as-needed basis. The individuals filling the positions will be expected to work closely with the director and counterparts across the Public Works Business Line and represent the department in communications with Public Works Administration, the County Administrator's office and County Commissioner offices and other governmental agencies, public organizations, and private parties. These positions will be located at the Hennepin County Public Works facility is located in Medina.
The Housing, Community Works, and Transit (HCWT) Department builds and strengthens communities by facilitating the development of quality, affordable housing, and creating healthy built environments that provide transportation choices and community connections, attract investment, and create jobs.
This position will provide managerial and programmatic technical capacity to manage the direction and coordination of various functions within the Engineering and Transit Development Division in HCWT, the Hennepin County Regional Railroad Authority (HCRRA), and the Counties Transit Improvement Board (CTIB).
This position will also manage the program and project budgets and schedules, environmental reviews, project controls, right-of-way, intergovernmental agreements, contract management, and administration for Engineering and Transit Development. This includes major, multi-billion dollar transitways such as Southwest Light Rail Transit (LRT) and Bottineau LRT. Additional projects and programs will be assigned as they develop, such as the Vikings stadium transit station, redevelopment of the Mall of America station, coordination with freight railroads, and intercity passenger rail – as appropriate for Hennepin County. This position will be located at the Governement Center in Downtown Minneapolis.
The primary duties and responsibilities of these positions include:
- Oversee the development and ongoing evaluation of practices and processes promoting effective program delivery and reasonable capital and operating costs.
- Participate in short and long range planning, programming, implementation and evaluation of programs at the Public Works Business Line and department levels.
- Participate in the development of a multiple year capital improvement program.
- Develop a proposed annual operating budget.
- Participate in negotiating and managing contracts, cooperative agreements, and transactions with other units of government, agencies, public organizations or private parties.
- Coordinate multiple projects and/or programs simultaneously including scoping, costing, scheduling, and reporting.
- Present, describe, and discuss projects/programs with public officials, citizens, and businesses, engineering, and construction professionals and county department stakeholders.
- Develop recommendations for proposed legislation and assist in preparing testimony for legislative and agency hearings related to programs and operations.
- Serve as the director in director's absence.
Best Qualified Candidates will have:
NOTE: You must include a cover letter and resume as part of your application materials to be considered for these positions.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in civil engineering and/or a related field.
- Seven years or more of supervisory or managerial experience pertaining to the areas of assignment.
- Current licensure as a Professional Engineer with Minnesota Board of Registration or ability to obtain licensure within the six month probationary period.
- Demonstrated success managing complex, multi-disciplinary projects and/or programs with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience preparing, managing, and monitoring annual operating and capital budgets.
- Excellent leadership skills with ability to effectively communicate and carry out mission and vision.
- Knowledge of applicable statutes, issues, and current developments in areas related to transportation and/or transit.
- Knowledge of organizational and administrative principles and techniques.
- Ability to:
- Plan, organize, coordinate and manage the programs in a large organization.
- Identify and develop strategies and goals to meet community needs.
- Work with executive leaders and elected officials.
- Analyze problems and situations and develop and implement effective solutions.
- Communicate complex concepts orally, in writing, and in presentations.
- Handle multiple tasks and responsibilities simultaneously.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.
Hennepin County - 30+ days ago