This position is a field position and can be located preferably on the east coast of Florida (i.e Jacksonville to South Florida)
POSITION SUMMARY: The primary responsibility for this position is to provide leadership to a team of Underwriting Field Specialists – Commercial to help the organization identify, manage and analyze its commercial residential and commercial nonresidential exposure in the state of Florida.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: THE FOLLOWING ARE THE USUAL, BASIC AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION. THESE FUNCTIONS ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES, AND SKILLS REQUIRED .
- Facilitate a work environment that fosters and supports ethical decision-making and actions by motivating, promoting and modeling ethical behavior, as well as executing job responsibilities in accordance with Citizens core values and ethics policies.
- Manage the team of underwriting field specialists by providing training, development, counseling and performance evaluations.
- Provide leadership to the field specialists in support of company goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with underwriting leadership team to support and develop strategies and tactical plans to reunderwrite the commercial book of business on continuous basis with a special emphasis on the large and complex risks.
- Conduct underwriting file reviews with underwriting leadership to ensure compliance with underwriting manuals and procedures.
- Perform responsibilities and provide recommendations in accordance with, state issues, regulations, industry trends and Citizens policies.
- Participate with underwriting leadership team to develop underwriting policies and business strategies.
- Provide technical and business support and guidance to direct reports to assist in the quality of the various reports (including wind mitigation, replacement cost valuations, loss control, and general condition) they are required to submit for review.
- Collaborate with Claims management to provide underwriting technical support for catastrophic weather events.
- Contribute to and/or prepare analytical qualitative and quantitative reports related to the book of business.
- Prepare and report business progress, business activities and trends to underwriting leadership team.
- Assist in the identification and selection of external resources, including vendors and data from other sources, to help the department obtain the underwriting information needed to properly rate and classify risks.
- Regularly assess and adjust deployment of direct reports to maximize the efficiency of the team.
- Develop training material for underwriters, claims partners, and agents.
- Handle administrative duties, such as budget, as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES :
- Strong management and leadership skills for direct reports located in multiple locations in the state of Florida.
- Comprehensive knowledge of replacement cost estimating tools for commercial structures.
- Ability to effectively evaluate, map and analyze business processes and trends.
- Skilled in critical thinking; creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Understanding of loss control measures for commercial properties.
- Knowledge of industry commercial underwriting product coverages and forms.
- Knowledge of general commercial building construction types and techniques.
- Computer literacy on various applications and programs including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Highly self motivated with ability to work and manage autonomously and as part of a management team.
- Ability to initiate, organize, prioritize, and coordinate multiple and complex projects.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field; OR 4 years relevant experience OR a combination of college education and relevant experience equivalent to 4 years.
- 8 or more years of experience in property insurance underwriting operations with 6 or more combined years including experience as a field employee as a Commercial Lines Underwriter, Commercial Loss Control Representative or as a Claim Representative with Commercial Property claims handling background.
- Experience with general commercial building construction types and techniques.
- 2 or more years of supervisory/managerial experience.
- MBA OR CPCU, AIC, PLCA or CLCS designation.
- 12 or more years of experience in commercial property insurance underwriting operations, with 10 or more combined years as an underwriter with an insurance carrier.
- Practical understanding of the Florida insurance environment.
- Knowledge of Citizens underwriting products, procedures and processes.
- Prior experience as a Field Underwriter.
- This position requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, hear and converse over the telephone, and key frequently on a computer (2 or more hours per day). The position requires the ability to be mobile, operate a motor vehicle, and work in a flexible position including periodically accessing attics, climbing ladders, accessing roofs and entering confined spaces. This position also requires the ability to travel and work for extended periods in off-site locations. Also, the individual may be exposed to extreme work conditions during catastrophe deployment including working in outside locations and conducting field inspections in catastrophically impacted areas .
Citizens Property Insurance Corporation - 13 months ago