The Graduate Program in Counseling in the School of Applied Human Sciences and the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the University Northern Iowa seeks a counselor educator to join our faculty as a tenure track assistant or associate professor (depending on qualifications). The ideal candidate will assume a major leadership role within this CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling Related Educational Programs) accredited counseling program in addition to responsibilities in teaching, research, and service. The Graduate Program in Counseling has been CACREP accredited since 1990 and preparing counselors at UNI since 1953.
This leadership role includes program coordination and collaborative work with the faculty to define and deliver the program consistent with its mission (http://www.uni.edu/csbs/sahs/counseling). The program serves graduate students in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling. Faculty members are expected to participate in student advisement, curriculum development, recruitment, faculty shared governance, scholarly research, and professional service and outreach activities. Appointment will commence August 2013. The student-centered program encourages a culture of experiential learning that values mutual responsibility and respect, promotes life-long learning as well as personal and professional development, and we seek a colleague that embraces a similar philosophy.
Earned doctorate in Counselor Education from a CACREP- accredited program or a closely related field
• Demonstrated record of effective leadership at the program, state and/or national levels
• Experience working collaboratively with colleagues, students , and community members
• Knowledgeable of and experience in CACREP-accredited counseling programs
• Experience in providing clinical mental health counseling and/or school counseling
• Evidence of commitment to diversity and experience working with diverse student and client populations
• Eligible for counseling licensure as Licensed Mental Health Counselor/Licensed Professional Counselor and/or School Counselor
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching graduate level counseling courses
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Involvement in state, regional, or national counseling associations
• Record of scholarship (as evidenced by publications, presentation, grants, current research)
• Knowledge of ways to encourage a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility and respect, life-long learning, and ethics as well as personal and professional development
• Demonstrated commitment to shared governance
• Knowledge or experience with a variety of leadership duties as described in the bylaws of the School of Applied Human Sciences (http://www.uni.edu/csbs/sahs/school-applied-human-sciences-laws)
• Knowledge and experience with CACREP accreditation processes
• Post-master’s experience in school counseling or clinical mental health counseling
• Membership in American Counseling Association and its affiliated organizations, especially Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching graduate level CACREP core courses
• Experience in clinical supervision of school counselors and/or mental health counselors
• Licensed or willing to seek license in Iowa as a clinical mental health counselor and/or school counselor
• Interest for developing extramural funding for research projects
• Experience using a variety of instructional technologies and delivery methods in class
Desired Cultural Competencies
• Creates a classroom and clinical environment that acknowledges and celebrates differences
• Able to function and communicate successfully and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds
• Seeks out opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating within diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement
Online Application Required Documents
transcript of highest degree (not official)
statement of teaching philosophy
statement of supervision philosophy
References must be filled out online during the application process; however, only professional references will be allowed.
Number of References: 5
A plain text cover letter is required.
To start the Online Application process for this position, click the "Apply for This Position" button located below the Contact Information.
Additional Application Materials
Three letters of reference must be mailed to Darcie Davis-Gage Search Committee Chair.
The materials listed above are not part of any online process. Please send the materials to the contact information below.
University of Northern Iowa - 17 months ago