UALR Functional Title
Assistant Professor of Spanish / R97601
Intern'l & Second Language Studies
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock invites applications for the position of tenure track (nine-month) Assistant Professor in the Department of International and Second Language Studies ( DISLS ). Experience in a K-12 environment as well as the ability and willingness to oversee students seeking teacher licensure is required. Near-native fluency in Spanish and English is expected.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach courses in Spanish at the undergraduate level and for the Masters of Arts in Second Languages;
- Advise and mentor students;
- Engage actively in outreach with the Latino community in Little Rock;
- Engage in research and scholarship activities;
- Participate in service activities in the program, college, university and the Little Rock community.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge/understanding of how technology is used in language instruction.
- A record of peer-reviewed scholarship, with significant potential for maintaining an effective research agenda is expected.
- Knowledge of the ACTFL / NCATE Standards for the Preparation of Foreign Language Teachers.
- Ability and willingness to oversee students seeking teacher licensure.
- Ability to work with a diverse campus community.
- Knowledge of and experience with MS Office.
Required Education and/or Experience
A Ph.D. or DML ABD’s may be considered if all degree requirements are completed before employment commences in August 2014. Experience in a K-12 environment is required.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Background Check Requirements
01 - Criminal/Financial
Sedentary Work - Exerting 10 pounds: Occasionally, Kneeling: Occasionally, Climbing (Stairs, Ladders, etc.): Occasionally, Lifting 10-25 lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 5-10 lbs: Occasionally, Pushing/pulling 5-10 lbs: Occasionally, Sitting for long periods of time: Occasionally, Standing for long periods of time: Occasionally, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Short Distances: Frequently, Walking - Long Distances; Occasionally
Spends approximately 75% or more time indoors, Conditions that affect the respiratory system or the skin, such as fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases or poor ventilation
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants may also be interested in applying for Position R97682 – Assistant Professor of Spanish. To be considered for both positions, applicants must complete an online application and submit all required application documents for each posting. Incomplete applications or cross application requests will not be considered.
University of Arkansas is home to the RFID Research Laboratory, an EPCGlobal-accredited Performance Test Center.