The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and
magnatudinal, not finite, list of the types of duties and
responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and
shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific
duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be
directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically
presented in this description. This job description may be modified in
line with business requirements at the sole discretion of the company.
Required: Masters or PhD in Mathematics or Statistics (preferred).
Travel Required: Occasional overnight travel.
Summary: The Assistant Program Director for Online Programs is a
member of the full-time faculty who also holds an administrative
appointment related to managing a specific online academic program or
set of academic programs.
Responsibilities include: classroom instruction, day-to-day program
operations, assisting students toward successful program completion, and
staffing the classroom with faculty who support the mission of South
University. The Program Director for Online Programs supports the
academic well being of the program as it relates to education and
helping to maintain/grow student enrollment.
The Assistant Program Director for Online Programs also participates
in activities that promote the stature of the academic programs,
departments, and colleges and abides by the mandates set by the South
University Board of Trustees and administration.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
• Manages the educational process to ensure every student and faculty
member is involved in a positive educational experience through the
learning, teaching, and social environment.
• As a full-time faculty member, performs faculty responsibilities
as outlined in the faculty job description and in accordance with the
provisions of Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee
• Communicates consistently and effectively with the Program
Director for Online Programs, college/school deans, department chairs,
and other South University administrators.
• Drives program and department initiatives designed to achieve
student outcomes, completion rates, persistence, and other goals and
metrics as outlined in the University’s strategic plan. Provides regular
assessment of progress of these initiatives in attaining goals and
holds self and direct reports accountable for implementation.
• Ensures faculty are in compliance with South University’s
academic policies and procedures, educational policies, and SACS and
programmatic accreditation standards and state agency regulations.
Supports the assessment process so that the South University
Institutional Effectiveness Plan is applied to online programs and
courses, with the results used to improve the student experience.
• Evaluates exemplary full-time faculty (no rank) and adjunct
faculty as candidates for full-time faculty (rank) positions, making
appropriate recommendations to the Department Chair/Senior Chair for
Online Programs. Evaluates exemplary full-time faculty (no rank) and
adjunct faculty for additional course credentials, making appropriate
recommendations to the Department Chair for Online Programs.
• Trains, manages, and leads a designated group of faculty
according to the policies and procedures of the University, supervising
the daily operations of the faculty. Drives the full-time and adjunct
faculty evaluation process, including the completion of periodic course
observations for quality assurance and annual faculty evaluations, to
ensure faculty provide a strong, student-focused educational environment
through consistent adherence to course rubrics, student competencies,
and course pedagogy.
• Supports the faculty development process in close coordination
with the Department Chair/Senior Chair for Online Programs and related
online personnel in compliance with South University faculty development
policies. Supports the curriculum revision and development processes
(including ad hoc and educational delivery issues) to ensure the
achievement of program and course competencies as determined by the
college and University.
• Investigates and resolves student and faculty educational
problems requiring academic actions in consultation with pertinent
individuals and departments, under the direction and approval of the
Program Director for Online Programs according to the policies and
procedures of the University (including all process and documentation
• Collaborates with the Program Director for Online Programs to
support course scheduling, faculty scheduling, department meetings, and
other pertinent operational matters. Collaborates with the Program
Director for Online Programs to support team trainers on program and
subject area product knowledge. Participates in the periodic meetings
of the pertinent South University advisory councils. Performs other
duties as assigned.
Reports to: Program Director for Online Programs – South University
Directly Supervises: Full-time and adjunct faculty – South University.
Interacts with: South University college/school deans, department
chairs, program directors, faculty, and administration at the Savannah
campus and online.
• Held positions of increasing responsibility or project/initiative
leadership within a university or industry setting, with online and/or
academic experience a plus.
• For graduate programs, a terminal degree (Masters or PhD in Mathematics or Statistics) from a regionally
accredited institution in the program discipline within the College,
with a minimum of 18 semester or 27 quarter hours of graduate coursework
in the discipline.
• Other requirements specific to the discipline, including active, valid, and unencumbered licensure or certification.
• Teaching experience at the collegiate level, with online experience a plus.
• Strong leadership skills.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Strong personnel management experience.
• Experience with computerized administrative systems, including
proficiency with the use of standard office applications on personal
• Ability to read, understand, interpret, and implement accreditation criteria and state agency regulations.
• Ability to read, understand, interpret, and implement academic policies and procedures.
• Ability to resolve inquiries and complaints from employees, students, and faculty.
• Ability to effectively present information to employees,
students, faculty, academic and campus leaders, and corporate leaders.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.
• Ability to work effectively, cooperatively, and flexibly in a team environment.
• Ability to physically work in the United States while performing all responsibilities of the position for the University.
Work Environment & Notice
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
Education Management Corporation
- 19 months ago - save job
Education Management Corporation is among the largest providers of private post-secondary education in North America, based on student...