Assistant Research Scientist - Geospatial Research Assistant
Michigan Tech Research Institute (MTRI)
Michigan Tech Research Institute (Ann Arbor, MI)
Full-Time Equivalent (1.0=100%)
Salary or Hourly Rate
Negotiable Based on Experience (No less than $36,000.00)
Position Duration Dependent on External Funding?
Title of Position Supervisor
Senior Research Scientist I
Position Summary Information
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job Description Summary
MTRI is seeking a motivated professional to help support multiple projects for our government and commercial customers. The Geospatial Research Assistant will provide analysis, visualization, and documentation support for ongoing and future research programs focused on the application of remote sensing, geospatial analysis, and statistical data analysis to solving critical problems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Participate as an important team member in research projects applying remote sensing, mathematical, programming, statistical, ecological, and GIS skills to create innovative solutions to research issues and development of decision support systems, with the expectation of planning and coordinating research and development tasks under supervision of a principal investigator.
2. Assist with projects covering a diverse set of current research areas, such as transportation infrastructure assessment, land cover change, emissions modeling from wildfires and prescribed burns, invasive species mapping, wetlands assessment, carbon budget analysis, Arctic landscape change, improved geotemporal visualization of complex data, and aquatic remote sensing of the Great Lakes.
3. Conduct field data collections, potentially in remote and challenging areas, and be able to deal with issues encountered in the field to ensure scientifically-valid data collection.
4. Interpret the results of data collected and research projects undertaken. Describe and share any concerns about the results or methodology, and recommend or implement countermeasures.
5. Contribute technical expertise to specific aspects of conference presentations, journal articles, and technical reports, and be able to take the lead on preparing technical reports. The employee will be expected to exercise independent judgment using their expertise to help define how tasks will be completed, in coordination with project leaders while being responsible for their own work.
6. Contribute to competitive proposals.
7. Assess effectiveness of safety measures and training and implement necessary changes. Anticipate and recognize problems and potential problems at the individual and system levels. Recognize and respond appropriately to potential and actual unsafe situations.
8. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
9. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
Required Education (minimum requirements)
Bachelor’s degree in remote sensing, GIS , mathematics with a geospatial interest, or a closely related degree with 2 or more years of experience,
Master’s degree in remote sensing, GIS , mathematics with a geospatial interest, or a closely related degree.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
• Practical knowledge of how to apply spatial analysis and geospatial data processing to transportation infrastructure data for extracting condition information.
• Experience with analyzing land cover change data for understanding carbon emissions from wildfires and anthropogenic burning.
• Practical experience with image interpretation (air photos, satellite data) of wetlands.
• Experience with statistical analysis software such as R, JMP , SAS , or SPSS .
• Experience with image processing software such as ERDAS Imagine and ENVI .
• Experience with desktop ESRI GIS software.
• Well-developed GIS skills and understanding of spatial concepts and theory.
• Experience with analysis and processing of remotely sensed imagery into useful research project results.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Experience with MATLAB software for data analysis and simulation.
Experience with aquatic remote sensing, with a focus on Great Lakes region ecology.
Practical research experience with interpretation and processing of radar imagery.
Experience with mapping wetlands and invasive species in the Great Lakes ecosystem.
Experience with programming analysis routines using Python or similar languages for analysis.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
• Ability to obtain a DoD security clearance, which requires United States citizenship.
• Experience collecting field data.
• Excellent written/oral communication skills.
• Demonstrated organizational ability and attention to detail.
• Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to significant matters related to job duties.
• Demonstrated ability to participate in team projects.
• Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Ability to contribute to competitive grant proposals.
Ability to communicate complex ideas clearly through symposia, methods documentation, reports, and publications.
Language, Mathematical, and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Training Requirements: Employee Safety Overview, Sexual Harassment Training, Annual Data Security Training
Posting Detail Information
Internal & External Posting
Internal Posting Date
External Posting Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Michigan Technological University - 9 months ago
Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu) is ranked among the top public universities in the country by U.S. News & World Report. The university has...