Position Title Assistant Senior Counsel/Contracts
Business Unit Description
MWV is a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions . Our fresh insights, innovative products, global manufacturing, and unparalleled service make us the partner of choice for many of the world’s most admired brands in the healthcare, beauty and personal care, food, beverage, home and garden, and tobacco industries. Our end-market expertise is also the foundation for success in our other businesses – Specialty Chemicals and the Community Development and Land Management Group. We touch people’s lives every day, everywhere. We help people keep track of their medications ( Dosepak ®, and Shellpak ® packaging), take care of their homes and gardens ( Mixor ® Trigger Sprayers) and their communities ( Evotherm ® asphalt). We develop products and solutions that not only grow our customers’ brands, but also improve our – and their – customers’ quality of life.
With about 15,000 employees worldwide, MWV operates in 30 countries and serves customers in more than 100 nations. But no matter where we’re doing business, we do things the right way – with a focus on integrity, sustainability, and positively contributing to the communities in which our employees live and work.
MWV is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CAREER OPPORTUNITY – SENIOR COUNSEL (Contracts & Commercial)
MeadWestvaco Corporation (“MWV”) is looking for a Senior Counsel (Contracts & Commercial) attorney to join MWV’s law department, based in MWV’s Richmond, VA headquarters. The MWV law department has 15 lawyers, working in practice areas including mergers and acquisitions, commercial transactions, intellectual property, litigation and compliance, as well as other specialties. The Department works closely with MWV business and corporate colleagues to ensure that legal efforts align well and cost-effectively with MWV’s strategic goals.
The successful candidate must have the ability to work with complex business units across multiple geographic segments (US, Europe, Asia, Latin America), have a proven track record of cultivating strong relationships with key internal stakeholders as well as demonstrated ability to provide legal solutions and business oriented legal strategies.
The Senior Counsel (Contracts & Commercial) will be responsible for legal oversight for MWV contracts on a global basis across a broad spectrum of business activities, and for implementing and managing internal procedures and controls to ensure effective review and management of contracts across the organization.
The Senior Counsel will work with a staff contracts attorney as well as senior members of the law department to review and provide guidance to corporate groups and businesses on a wide range of contracts, from complex multi-jurisdictional agreements to relatively standard commercial agreements, typically from inception through signature, as well as counseling on contract and commercial matters generally. The position requires “hands on” engagement, directly drafting and negotiating matters, with assistance of external counsel as reasonably required (for example, non-US jurisdiction, specialized subject matter, documentation complexity, work-load).
The Senior Counsel will also be responsible for contract management policies and systems, for example, driving productivity through technology, developing appropriate “triage” strategies for contract review balancing risk/complexity, developing and implementing contract templates and general terms and conditions, as well as training programs for business clients. In addition, the Senior Counsel is expected to identify and engage corporate and business personnel across the organization to ensure appropriate legal review of commercial matters on behalf of the company, as well as the involvement of other corporate groups as appropriate (e.g., compliance, safety, tax).
.0001pt;mso-add-space: auto" >
- Approximately five years + of experience in corporate practice, preferably in house commercial contracts experience
- Ability to draft and negotiate commercial agreements across a range of disciplines, including supply agreements, equipment purchase, sale and lease agreements, construction contracts, contract manufacturing and toll agreements, sales agency and distribution agreements, software and license agreements, joint development agreements, real estate leases and related documentation, term sheets, letters of intent, memoranda of understanding
- Familiarity with both US and international commercial practices and trade terms (e.g. Incoterms, freight and transportation matters, customs and broker matters)
- Familiarity with laws governing international trade (e.g. FCPA, anti-boycott and trade controls) is preferred.
- Some travel is required, though typically with a lead time for planning. Most travel would be domestic, east-coast, for example providing contracts training at a MWV domestic facility. Some international travel will also be required, for example to key locations in Europe to ensure that MWV contract review policies are well understood, and to better understand contract types and risks that may be present in such locations.
United States of America
MeadWestvaco - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard
MWV is a global leader in packaging and packaging solutions. Our fresh insights, innovative products, global manufacturing, and unparalleled...