An experienced clinical microbiologist is needed to join the Innovative Medicines -- Discovery & Development Microbiology group to support both the discovery and development of new antibacterial agents and combinations. The successful candidate will perform in vitro antibacterial susceptibility testing assays on novel and development compounds and participate as an integral project team member to advance new compounds from discovery through development.
Major Responsibilities [it is recognized that the successful candidate might not have experience of all of these activities: see minimum requirements]
* Support the Infection iMed by performing in vitro antibacterial susceptibility testing of new compounds in both primary and secondary screening assays following CLSI guidelines.
* Identification of pathogenic bacteria.
* Possession of a working knowledge of human pathogens associated with various infection types.
* Perform secondary antibacterial assays including in vitro time-kill, post antibiotic effect, combination testing, E-test, disk diffusion, and provide microbiology support for antibacterial compounds in development.
* Actively participate on antibacterial project teams representing Discovery & Development Microbiology including presentations of scientific data and written summaries.
* Contribute data, methods, and/or result sections to internal reports, abstracts, posters, publications, and microbiology sections of regulatory submissions.
* Maintain an up-to-date laboratory notebook.
* Collaborate with internal scientists on specific projects (Infection Bioscience, Planning, Strategy, and Clinical).
* Actively participate as a team member of Discovery & Development Microbiology and provide support to peers as necessary.
* Be proficient in the use of relevant software tools at AstraZeneca.
* Bachelor's/Master's degree in biology, microbiology, or Medical Technology (ASCP certification preferred).
* 1-3 years of relevant work experience in clinical microbiology including isolation techniques, identification and susceptibility testing.
* Knowledge of CLSI guidelines for aerobic and anaerobic antibacterial susceptibility testing (broth microdilution, agar dilution, disk diffusion).
* Prior experience performing in vitro time-kill, post-antibiotic effect, MBCs, E-test, and checkerboard (synergy) testing.
* Ability to identify bacterial isolates to the genus/species level using laboratory automation (MicroScan) or conventional methods.
* Familiarity with antibacterial mechanisms of resistance.
* Prior experience with laboratory automation (liquid handling and bacterial identification).
* Effective oral and written communication skills.
Skills and Competencies
* Ability to multitask by addressing the needs of multiple customers: discovery microbiology, development microbiology, colleagues, project teams, infection bioscience, planning and strategy.
* Holds self and others accountable. Deliver according to agreed upon timelines.
* Working knowledge of laboratory automation equipment and CLSI guidelines.
* Good collaborator and team player.
* Ability to analyze data and make appropriate recommendations for additional studies.
* Results and goal oriented.
* Bachelor's/Master's in biology, microbiology, Medical Technology (ASCP certification), or equivalent preferred.
* Clinical microbiology experience
* Experience in preclinical discovery and development of antibacterial agents.
* Experienced with all methods of in vitro antibacterial evaluation of new compounds (adhering to CLSI guidelines).
* Effective oral and written communication of microbiology data at both internal and external meetings.
AstraZeneca - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard -
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals (which does business as AstraZeneca US) can help with a full alphabet of ailments. The company, a subsidiary of...