This position is part time (less than 20 hours/week) and non-benefit earning.
Assist the Assessing function in the preparation of accurate and equitable assessed market values for all property types located in the City. Emphasis of this position is on field inspections, records maintenance, computer applications, special projects, assistance to assessing staff and mass valuation modeling.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepare and maintain documentation on the physical characteristics of real property which provide the basis of valuations for tax purposes consistent with Minnesota Statute, County and City guidelines.
2. Enter and compile data for the purpose of calculating valuations using systematic records, personal computer and the Property Data System (PDS), which is a computer assisted mass appraisal system.
- On an annual basis, assist in the inspection of at least 20% of the existing parcels in the city.
- As development and redevelopment occurs, assist in the inspection of new construction and renovations for the creation and modification of records as necessary.
- Conduct inspections for re-evaluation and assessment changes.
- Assist staff in preparation and maintenance of records documentation as directed.
- Prepare, enter and maintain sketches associated with individual properties.
- Establish and maintain a consistently high quality level of documentation, complete field work in a timely manner, and ensure analysis is accurate and timely.
3. Assist in the communication of assessment practices and appraisal analyses to citizens, property owners, their representatives and the public at large in a respectful and professional manner. Communication will be in person, by phone, written response and public presentations as applicable.
- Enter, analyze and maintain sales verifications.
- Assist in maintaining operational information for spread sheet and modeling applications.
- Assist in citywide statistical analyses to determine market trends and valuations.
4. Perform other duties and special projects as apparent or assigned, including but not limited to:
- Explain the Minnesota property tax system and provide clear information regarding the rationales utilized in the classification and valuation process.
- Act as a resource person to other appraisers and other departmental staff for inquiries.
- Attend and assist in preparation for Local Board of Appeal meetings as directed.
- Actively research and remain current on market trends for all property types and accepted appraisal practices. Review and communicate trends and practices with assessing and other departmental staff.
- Develop an understanding and knowledge of all aspects of the assessing function.
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a Certified Minnesota Appraiser within one year of hire.
- Valid driver's license.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office applications.
- Ability to utilize mass appraisal applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of appraisal principles.
- Ability to recognize and resolve conflict in a tactful manner.
- Must have physical ability to move around various types of property to fully inspect physical characteristics.
- High competence in Microsoft office applications.
- High competence with Property Data System and specialized appraisal software.
- Prior experience working in the assessment function for a similar community.
- Prior experience working as a real estate appraiser in the State of Minnesota.
- Flexibility in scheduling throughout the year in meeting deadlines and work flow.