The University of Oklahoma’s College of Architecture invites applications for the position of Associate Director of the
Division of Architecture. The appointment, with the expectation of tenure, will be at the rank of Associate Professor in the
College of Architecture (CoA), with an anticipated start date of August 16th, 2013.
The Division of Architecture, under the leadership of a new Director, is poised to fully leverage its heritage as a leading
architecture school in the heart of America. The division’s NAAB-accredited B.ARCH and M.ARCH professional programs
are shaped by an ethos of Creating_Making, and founded on core principles of ethics and sustainability. The appointment
offers the following:
• The opportunity to work in newly-renovated Gould Hall, which provides exceptional studio facilities and digital
collaboration spaces, with full access to advanced design and fabrication technology labs.
• The opportunity for collaboration in a Division and College, with accredited divisions of Planning, Landscape
Architecture, Interior Design and Construction Science, that include collegiality as part of the annual faculty
• The opportunity to help implement a new CoA Planning, Design and Construction Ph.D. beginning in the Fall of 2014.
• The opportunity to work with students of our Division and College to maintain a strong track record of success,
including placing in the ULI Competition, the ACSA/N.S.F. Sustainable Building Design Competition, and national
architecture/construction science competitions, among others. For more information, visit http://arch.ou.edu.
The program seeks an engaging, creative and passionate individual with professional stature, who will help model and
inspire exceptional teaching and critical research in the advancement of the Architecture program’s vision and mission.
The Associate Director is expected to teach a minimum of three classes per year and maintain a program of creative or
scholarly work. The Associate Director will also be responsible for providing critical administrative support to the division,
and the newly appointed Director of Architecture.
• A minimum of a Master’s degree and professional licensure or PhD.
• Teaching and research or critical practice experience.
• Experience in effective academic departmental/unit leadership, or with academic administrative duties.
• Possession of qualifications which are tenurable at the rank of associate professor.
• Advanced level undergraduate/graduate studio teaching.
• Experience with digital design and fabrication.
• Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
Apply by submitting a cover letter expressing your interest in the position and highlighting relevant experience. Also
include a current curriculum vita, a statement of teaching philosophy, a narrative of administrative experiences, a portfolio
of sample teaching efforts, professional research work and/or work generated through a critical architectural practice, and
full contact information for three references (please indicate if these are to remain confidential). All application material
shall be submitted digitally on a CD or flash drive. Please mail the digital media to:
Prof. Hans E. Butzer, Director of Architecture
University of Oklahoma College of Architecture
Associate Director Search
Gould Hall, Rm 274
830 Van Vleet Oval
Norman, OK 73109
Please submit questions by email to email@example.com. Application review will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled.
The University of Oklahoma is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women and minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
The American Institute of Architects - 10 months ago