SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The Associate Director, Analytical Development will
assist with the analytical development efforts of
multiple projects and will be responsible for guiding a
productive analytical research and development program.
The incumbent may lead a team of professional scientists
and efficiently manage scientific efforts and resources
to ensure the attainment of objectives in a timely
manner. The Associate Director must be able to
effectively communicate results and issues within the
projects to management and customers with the highest of
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provide leadership and management within the
department and other groups as assigned through a
structural process of objective setting, performance
appraisal, mentoring and individual development as
appropriate. Lead a group of scientists for multiple
pharmaceutical development projects. By improving
individual performance and group collaboration, the
Associate Director will be responsible for improving the
overall department productivity, efficiency, and
2. Carry out an active laboratory analytical program,
identifying, characterizing and quantifying lead drug
candidates including development and validation of
procedures and/or equipment as necessary, and be able to
solve the more complex analytical problems that arise
within the group.
3. Provide strategic CMC and scientific solutions to the
pharmaceutical development projects.
4. Design, develop, validate and implement CMC-enabling
analytical solutions – testing procedures,
specifications, protocols and reports.
5. Ensure that the analytical chemistry functions are
completed in accordance with the Company and
governmental standards of safety and quality, and that
all experimental documentation is complete and timely.
6. Build a sense of customer confidence in departmental
results. Acting as the technical leader, analytical
expert, and interact with external customers and
internal colleagues. Will be responsible for providing
liaison communication with key members of client
7. Supervise a team of scientists including, but not
limited to, the motivation, education, efficiency,
performance management and productivity of these
8. Allocate the section’s resources in accord with
project priorities within guidelines set by corporate
9. Responsible for the identification and development of
new business opportunities and relationships as
10. Communicate effectively in both verbal and written
form on results, issues and plans. This may involve and
include close interactions with customers.
11. Ensure that laboratory operations are conducted in a
safe manner. Remain familiar with the contents of the
Chemical Hygiene Plan. Follow safety rules fully.
12. Resolve any issues and provide possible solutions
through interaction with corporate management,
especially as it relates to the improvement of technical
capability, morale and productivity of the department’s
scientists. Develop and implement strategies for the
13. Routinely improve knowledge and skills in pertinent
scientific and supervisory fields by participating in
continuing education courses and scientific meetings as
appropriate. Participate in self-development activities
and training of others.
14. Recommend and implement methods and techniques to
increase the quality of products and/or service.
15. Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
16. Perform other related duties as may be reasonably
assigned in the course of business.
This position may have direct supervisory
Education and/or Experience
industry, direct experience in drug product development
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, or Analytical Chemistry
- Ten years of experience in the relevant pharmaceutical
is a preferred
- At least 5 years in management role in GMP
chromatography, spectroscopy, wet chemistry principles.
- Expert in analytical technologies such as
- Extensive knowledge and working experience in CMC
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong leadership experience