Director, Global Operations Business Management and Planning will
work to Identify, develop, enhance and lead specific processes,
projects, and procedures to facilitate effective decision making,
ensure appropriate resource allocation, and maximize the
efficiency of the business. Acting on behalf of the Head of
Global Operations Business Management & Planning and the Head
of GOESR as needed, this role will support the correct
functioning of Commercial Centers of Excellence across Business
Franchises and Regions and the Strategy Realization Office for
- Work directly for the Head of Global Operations Business
Management & Planning to deliver the strategic and
operational agenda of the department.
- Support the annual planning and business review process and
resource allocation decisions across Global Operations.
- Support efficient operation by
facilitating cross-functional processes, resolving urgent
business issues, and coordinating special strategic
- Support the GOESR leadership driving the day-to-day
operations of the department.
- Represent the department and function as needed.
- Support the development and implementation of the strategic
and business planning and review process in line with corporate
planning agenda and integrating Countries, Regions and
- Facilitate effective and fast decision making within Global
Operations with regards to business management and resource
allocation and investment choices across Global Franchises and
Regions and countries.
- Work closely/ partner with key functions, including
Controlling and Global Strategy & BD, to ensure appropriate
information exchange, consistency and alignment to support key
processes and decision making.
- Collaborate with GOESR Center of Excellence teams in
securing relevant data needed for business planning and
- Coordinate and lead special strategic commercial projects
upon assignment (e.g., business acceleration priorities,
external strategic initiatives, etc.)
- Coordinate with Strategy Realization Office on key topics
related to Global Operations including ensuring tracking,
reporting and implementation of Fit for 2018 initiatives.
- Define and facilitate key global cross-functional processes
e.g. DOC preparation, brand planning, etc.
- Develop and implement processes and tools that enable
rigorous analysis and rapid decision making.
- Support review and challenge initial business case /
investment proposals through a solid understanding of business
models and strategies across GOC areas.
- Support effective running of GOESR function including
budget management, organizational and resource planning, issue
- Lead/ Support the development and coordination of the
yearly objectives plans of the GOE&SR functions
- Lead GOESR budget planning and OP submission and ensure
tracking and implementation during the year in cooperation with
GOESR department heads and Controlling
- Support planning of the GOE&SR Leadership Team meetings
and follow up on decisions.
- Support business issue resolution across the GOESR
departments (market access & pricing, commercial
excellence, business intelligence & decision support,
business management & planning).
- Ensure efficient senior management decision making through
solid understanding of operating model and senior management
- Coordinate and collaborate with a complex set of senior
stakeholders with regards to projects/business issues at hand
(Global Franchises, Regions, and other functions).
- Effectively communicate and explain global standards and
decision making process to relevant
- Stakeholders (orally, in written).
- Establish and maintain solid working relationship with all
stakeholders at the country, regional and global level.
- Support Head of Business Management & Planning with
day-to-day operations to include, and not limited to:
- Representing GOESR in Global Operations and other cross
functional and project teams;
- Assist and support GOESR department leaders in achieving
- Preparing for the GOC meetings (presentations,
documentations, proposals etc...)
- Lead preparation of annual GOESR budget and OP submission
in cooperation with GOESR department heads and Controlling
- With Controlling ensure appropriate budget tracking in
place and ability to make spend decisions
- With SRO ensure tracking and achievement of Fit for 2018
- University degree.
- MBA or advanced degree desirable.
- Consulting experience highly desirable.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 6 years experience in business operations,
strategic planning and consulting.
- Proven experience in pharmaceuticals, preferably, sales and
marketing, business development and functions in countries and
/ or in central organizations.
- Consulting experience is desirable (2-3 years)
- Thorough understanding of global business strategies.
- Strong project leadership experience.
- Demonstrated success in working in a global and
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Ability to lead cross-functional projects teams and
- Excellent communication & people management skills
- Excellent understanding of the roles & responsibilities
of the Pharma Executive Committee and the Global Operations
Committee and individual members
- Knowledge of the various relevant stakeholders in the
Global Franchises and Regions
- Knowledge of the various relevant stakeholders in the Merck
- Understanding of pharma commercial model and
cross-functional global commercialization processes
- Handle complexity and effectively handle multiple tasks at
the same time
- Stakeholder management skills
- Willingness to travel
- Thorough understanding of the global business
- Proven track record in designing, developing and managing
- Proven track record of collaborating and partnering in
- Ability to obtain results through working with people in
different organizations and at different levels
- Ability to access and influence a variety of functions
throughout the organization
- Exceptional inter-personal skills
- Excellent communication oral & written skills.
- Ability to work in a high functioning, fast-paced, global
- Must possess the ability to multi-task and have superior
Merck Serono S.A - 30+ days ago