Within an assigned territory in the western United States, the Associate Director of Philanthropy secures major gifts in support of the priority fundraising objectives of Heifer International; responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding prospects with current or future capability of leadership gifts to Heifer International. This position will have the flexibility of working in a home and mobile office setting while committing approximately 20 percent of in-office time in the Los Angeles area.
Provide leadership and direction for a portfolio of a minimum of 100 major gift donors and capacity prospects of $10,000 or more. Meet with donors, prospects, and volunteers; travel as necessary.
Work in concert with the major gifts, corporations and foundation relations teams to coordinate prospect identification, assignments, strategies and activities.
Develop, direct and implement strategies for donor segmentation including supporting Heifer’s work with donors and supporters from the entertainment industry.
In coordination and collaboration with Director of Philanthropy, work within the Moves Management system to best enhance donor involvement and potential giving.
Manage major gift constituent relations, track portfolio, and ensure effective and appropriate stewardship.
Collaborate with Region staff to ensure a seamless transition for donors and prospects into major gifts development, develop donor leadership councils to promote priority fundraising objectives.
Collaborate with the appropriate departments in Marketing & Resource Development Division and Heifer Foundation to maintain and increase the contributions of mutually agreed upon individuals, foundations and corporations.
Assist in planning and implementing special events for major donor cultivation.
Develop a growing knowledge of the work of Heifer with regard to the issues of hunger and poverty, community development, and environmentally sound, sustainable farming practices.
Adhere to ethical fundraising practices as outlined in the Association of Fundraising Professionals Code of Ethical Principles and Standards of Professional Practice.
May perform other job related responsibilities as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree plus five (5) years of related work experience, specifically in major gifts work.
Experience with the non-governmental organization approach, and knowledge of global sustainable development essential; international experience and knowledge of anti-hunger organizations desirable.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Inherent curiosity about people is a must.
- Knowledge of the non-profit sector with awareness of the context in which non-profit organizations operate.
- Proven fundraising skills, including major donor development.
- Ability to prospect, cultivate and acquire donations from individuals in high donation categories, including the entertainment industry.
- Working knowledge of proposal development.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of fiscal management.
- Ability to support Heifer’s mission, Cornerstones Model, and values.
- Ability to work with a diverse staff, including multiple cultures and beliefs.
- Proven ability to work independently from a remote location and with minimal supervision, within the framework of agreed upon goals and objectives.
- Constant telephone, face-to-face and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public.
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to relate to individuals and groups diplomatically and tactfully.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed up to 40 percent of time.
- Skilled with computers as a tool for word processing, database, e-mail, spreadsheets, and organizing.
- Ability to prepare and present presentations, reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals that conforms to prescribed style and format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and to maintain confidentiality.
Heifer International - 21 months ago
It's not just a handout; it's a new way of life. Heifer Project International (known as Heifer International) runs more than 925...