Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond ( www.richmond.edu ) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. Richmond offers a unique combination of undergraduate and graduate programs. Our School of Arts & Sciences anchors Richmond as a nationally ranked liberal arts university. A ranked business school, the nation's first school of leadership studies, a highly respected law school, a nationally recognized international education program and the community-focused School of Professional and Continuing Studies build on that strong foundation and make this university something unique.
The associate director will be a vital partner with the director of the alumni events group for the Office of Alumni and Career Service's (OACS). The position will focus on the regional initiatives program (volunteer management, regional event planning) including program evaluation and outcome measurement. The associate director will also manage reunion classes.
This position entails direct management of volunteers, fiscal oversight of the program budget, and all facets related to the execution of special events.
Regional Development Strategy
Relationship Management and Regional Programming
- With the director, set the strategic vision and lead regional initiatives staff in developing and implementing shared strategic priorities; monitor and report progress toward strategic goals and objectives.
- Plan, manage, implement, and evaluate the regional initiatives program, focusing on market segmentation to revamp current and develop new regional programming, utilizing chapter structure as appropriate.
- Evaluate current regional volunteer structure, identify strategy for regional volunteer recruitment and develop stewardship plan for current volunteers.
- Keep current on regional initiatives best practices (including process, procedures, policies and metrics) against similar colleges through phone calls, electronic communication, and conferences as necessary (every 2 years or as appropriate).
- Supervise, train, and mentor Administrative Assistant for Regional Initiatives
events and URAA event management. University messaging and priorities will be an important element in the planning.
- Conceptualize and execute regional programming, overseeing all processes ranging from event creation, site selection, risk management, invitations production, to facilitation and appropriate follow up. This programming consists of but is not limited to alumni chapter/regional
important element in the planning.
- Conceptualize and execute reunion programming for two reunion classes, overseeing all processes ranging from event creation, site selection, risk management, invitations production, to facilitation and appropriate follow up. University messaging and priorities will be an
Regional Program Marketing and Communication
- Recruit, manage, and steward volunteers, based on the principles of volunteer management to successfully engage them in the life of the regional initiatives program.
- Recruit, manage, and steward volunteers for reunion classes, based on the principles of volunteer management to successfully engage them in the life of the reunion program.
- Develop and provide content for program portion of the Web site, including event information, online registration, and electronic correspondence, including marketing via social media.
- Maintain, in conjunction with Administrative Assistant, records, paper and data, related to event, including registration lists and attendee lists.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Excellent volunteer management skills.
- Excellent special event planning and facilitation, including liability and insurance protection best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills, along with the ability to interact with diverse constituencies. Understanding of the importance of customer service.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including comfort level with public speaking.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, in conjunction with comfort level of working in fast-paced environment while handling multiple projects. Demonstrated solid problem solving skills
- Experience with Microsoft office software, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Accounting principles and recordkeeping also are essential.
- Knowledge of constituent databases, including The Raiser's Edge, as well as Web based software, including content management system Blackbaud Sphere.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required.
- Three to five years of demonstrating progressive responsibility and leadership in a college/university alumni services or parallel setting, or a combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of three years progressively responsible experience in the volunteer management, event management, higher education, and/or program management, including administrative responsibility and staff supervision.
- University Office Hours are Monday-Friday; 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
- Position requires frequent travel on average 8-12 days of the month and comfort level with travel to major metropolitan areas and international travel.
- Position frequently requires work on evenings and weekends.
- Position requires work on Homecoming and Reunion Weekends.
Pay Grade 7
To see more detailed salary information please review the University of Richmond's Compensation Structure .
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE
Richmond University's Official Athletic Site: complete coverage of all Spiders sports including basketball, football, baseball, soccer,...